When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

His & Hers Raleigh bikes find

-

Lloyd

Look Ma, No Hands!
Just got these 2,know nothing about English bikes,seem to be high quality,any info would be appreciated

20220918_151307.jpg

20220918_151644.jpg

20220918_151319.jpg

20220918_151337.jpg

20220918_151454.jpg

20220918_151513.jpg

They're late 1960s or early 1970s era Raleigh DL-1s. They were made in Nottingham, England and are US market spec rod brake roadsters. They look to be in average condition, but will clean up pretty well. These bikes are well-made, but unfortunately were often subjected to commuter/student/campus conditions where they got wet and used in sometimes-foul weather.

The rear hub shells will have date codes for the month and year in which the hub was made (giving a decent estimate of when the bike was made).

The rear racks were extra add-ons that are nice to have. The men's bike has its pump, which is a big plus because they get lost (as has happened on the women's bike).

The saddles are relatively valuable if they don't have any breaks or deep cracks.

They will need a complete going over before you can ride them, from the look of it. The rod brake system is not overly difficult to service, but you should read up on it a bit before starting because it can be very frustrating to adjust if you go in blindly without having done it before. The hubs will need to be cleaned and re-lubed probably. The rust will clean up, and the paint and chrome on these are usually decent.

The men's bike is the tall 24 inch frame on 28 x 1-1/2 wheels, which kind of limits the market because you have to be pretty tall to ride them. The women's is shorter but still pretty tall for a ladies' bike. But these are great if you have a couple tall riders. Care should be taken to get used to the braking system before you go out on a busy road. Panic stops as would be available on modern bikes are not available on these. The brakes are acceptable in good conditions, but will be anemic if maladjusted or wet.

One of my favorite bikes. I had a mens and womens set but sold them. Kicking myself for it. Mine were not in as good shape as these though. Nice find

-----

Brooks saddles sometimes bear a date marking stamped into the underside of the cantle.

1668628805618.png

-----

Last edited:
A good way to date these other than the S-A hub date code (if actually there and OE) are the decals and the the shifter design; and serial number. If you show good detailed images of those features we may be able to narrow down the year of manufacture. Hubs are commonly a year prior to frame/model year.
Unfortunately, if selling these bikes (mass produced in vast quantities), they really need to be in tip-top condition; similar designs were made into the 80s. I have a similar pair from the early-mid 40s, but due to rarer shifters and dynohubs garner a decent value for resale. Unless you are well versed in the rear hub maintenance, I would have a professional service that part. Even then it's hard to find a truly experienced mechanic unless you are in the UK or India.
Reference "The Headbadge" site (https://www.kurtkaminer.com) for some assistance in ID'ing the model since there are a bunch of similar models that came out each year. Most have the same frame , but different features.

Last edited:
There is another reference I use for shifters that gives a fairly decent idea of what range of years each style came out. Having about 6 Raleigh roadsters from early 40s to mid 70s (as well as a Robin Hood and a Royal Scot; essentially Raleighs with different livery), I have found it to be quite accurate. I will try to find it, and provide a link. I printed it out years ago so I may have to photo or scan if I cannot find the site online.

To all lovers of Raleighs see-- "The Raleigh Story" on U tube. Many English were too poor to own cars so these were intra-village transportation. They are bulletproof and the Limeys kept things.

Back