When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Historic chain question...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'd imagine it would be, but youd probably have to look for really old european bikes to find it. look for early geared bikes, they may have 1/2" by 3/32" chains. Most all american chains ive encountered are 1/2" by 1/8"

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but that makes it post war??

The 3/32" chain was used on derailleur bikes with freewheels with four or more gears. The French and Brits may have been the first to use this set up and Schwinn, to my knowledge, first used a four and five gear derailleur set up on production bikes in late 1959. So I'd have to say yes, post war.

What sprockets are you wanting to use that need this 10 speed chain? If you really want to bone up on multi-speed bicycle technology, pick up "The Dancing Chain" by Frank Berto. Hours of geeky reading, and if it doesn't at least give you a momentary urge to build a retro-direct you are not long for this earth.

What sprockets are you wanting to use that need this 10 speed chain? If you really want to bone up on multi-speed bicycle technology, pick up "The Dancing Chain" by Frank Berto. Hours of geeky reading, and if it doesn't at least give you a momentary urge to build a retro-direct you are not long for this earth.
What I was trying to get at in a roundabout way was would a single speed racing bike from say 1937 have had an option of using the lighter narrower chain and sprockets.... :) It seems the answer is no.

Wikipedia......

"Various derailleur systems were designed and built in the late 19th century. One example is the Protean two-speed derailleur available on the Whippet safety bicycle.[6] The French bicycle tourist, writer and cycling promoter Paul de Vivie (1853–1930), who wrote under the name Vélocio, invented a two speed rear derailleur in 1905 which he used on forays into the Alps.[7] Some early designs used rods to move the chain onto various gears. 1928 saw the introduction of the "Super Champion Gear" (or "Osgear")[8] from the company founded by champion cyclist Oscar Egg, as well as the Vittoria Margherita; both employed chainstay mounted 'paddles' and single lever chain tensioners mounted near or on the downtube. However, these systems, along with the rod-operated Campagnolo Cambio Corsa[9] were eventually superseded by parallelogram derailleurs.

In 1937, the derailleur system was introduced to the Tour de France, allowing riders to change gears without having to remove wheels. Previously, riders would have to dismount in order to change their wheel from downhill to uphill mode.[10] Derailleurs did not become common road racing equipment until 1938 when Simplex introduced a cable-shifted derailleur.

In 1949 Campagnolo introduced the Gran Sport, a more refined version of the then already existing, yet less commercially successful, cable-operated parallelogram rear derailleurs.[11]"

Back