When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ho Hum, Another Middleweight-- The '59 Speedster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Man, being borderline OCD has its drawbacks. I'd been wanting a middleweight single-speed for some time (yeah, I know I had that red Typhoon a month or so ago, but that was just a placeholder), and because there's diddly-squat for sale around here, I decided to build my own. I had pretty much everything I needed for a complete bike except one tiny little thing-- a suitable frame. Again there was bupkis around these parts listed for sale, so I'd been combing Craigslist, Facebook, and here of course, but I finally found what I was looking for on eBay a couple weeks ago: a clean, all original, '59 Speedster in radiant blue. With a chainguard with good screens. I placed my order and was quite excited to get started-- and then I found my '37 Hawthorne. Let me tell you-- and MANY of you I'm sure can vouch for this-- that after playing around with an 86-year-old bicycle, messing with a 'modern' Schwinn is almost mundane. I thought about cancelling my order, but it was already on its way, and the seller had made me a deal, so fine, I'll build my dumb middleweight. Then I can get back to searching for prewar ballooners to restore! Yippee!

So here it is, yawn, my 1959 Schwinn Speedster. Anyone want to trade for a crusty '38 Rollfast?

thumbnail_IMG_8495.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8496.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8500.jpg

That looks like a nice one. Those were only offered for 2 1/2 years. Do you think you could recoup your money if you sold it out right complete? The fenders have been changed out but it still looks nice.

That looks like a nice one. Those were only offered for 2 1/2 years. Do you think you could recoup your money if you sold it out right complete? The fenders have been changed out but it still looks nice.
We’ll find out, I just posted it for sale on FB Marketplace.

These fenders are the ss set that were on the red Typhoon I posted earlier this month; I sold that bike, but the buyer didn’t want the fenders. It’s funny, six months ago I would’ve been over the moon over this bike. Yes, I have issues.

Don't we all
I bet if that bike had it's original painted white tip fenders and some new wider S-7 tires you would be singing a different tune about your middle weight. Good luck with it either way
You might be right about the tires (these old Superiors don’t ride very well I’m finding out), but I like the chrome fenders against that radiant blue.

There's definitely a great curb appeal about these 60s paint jobs. People's eyes light up when they see something as bright as these middleweights roll by. The details in the pinstripes have recently brought me back to the 54-61 era, like the different fork darts, waterfall seat tube design, and something your bike has on the chain guard...the speed lines coming off of the model name. I remember drawing the Sting-Ray decal design in highschool and thinking the speed lines were the coolest!

There's definitely a great curb appeal about these 60s paint jobs. People's eyes light up when they see something as bright as these middleweights roll by. The details in the pinstripes have recently brought me back to the 54-61 era, like the different fork darts, waterfall seat tube design, and something your bike has on the chain guard...the speed lines coming off of the model name. I remember drawing the Sting-Ray decal design in highschool and thinking the speed lines were the coolest!
'59 is probably my favorite year of 'modern' Schwinns; I just love to look throught the Schwinn catalog for that year, every bike, from the lowliest Tornado to the grandest Jaguar is a work of art.

Middleweights are great riding bikes. 1959 is a great year, my first, last and only restoration was a 59 Tiger. One year only reflector. Painted fenders that I have way too much time into. A guy laid down awesome pinstripes for me. Upgraded seat, kickstand, it was a fun project. Nobody worried about originality.

Take your Speedster for a ride.

Ted

59A1F42A-301F-4A39-8ED2-05E3A5B9A383.jpeg

15F3D830-4040-4043-B96D-2A7783DF04C0.jpeg

BDF1160D-EF7A-41BB-A4FD-7EDBDD78FDCB.jpeg

1C99315B-79E5-4B17-B233-411EACDC3333.jpeg

B1B5E1BF-AF93-4DC0-9F19-D30FEAFC293A.jpeg

9F74F483-8356-4150-A93C-76D10BCFFEA4.jpeg

DCDE3D36-81A5-4E32-8768-3A3CB26948A9.jpeg

Back