When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HOLLOW STEEL RIMS FOR TOC AND HARD TIRE SAFETY BICYCLES (MAYBE HIGHWHEEL AS WELL)

-

mike cates

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I am wanting to see if there is interest in me making a run of un drilled 30" (finished wheel diameter with tire installed) steel hollow rims that would accept 7/8" hard rubber wired-on tires.

I am also wanting to see if there is interest in me making a run of un drilled 28” (finished wheel diameter with tire installed) steel hollow rims as an “alternative to a wood rim” that would accept pneumatic single tube 28” X 1 1/2” tires such as RD tires or original tires.

By supplying un drilled rims to customers, this will allow you to custom drill your rims as to spoke count, nipple diameters and if the spoke/nipple line at the inner rim alternates side to side.

I'm starting with these two particular sizes since 30" is the most common hard tire safety wheel size and and 28” is the most common TOC bicycle wheel size.

"I MIGHT" do other custom diameters in the future (for high wheel bicycles for 3/4”, 7/8” and 1” solid rubber tiring) as well as single tube tire rims in other diameters than 28” but first need to see if there is an interest in the above two sizes.

These rims are well made like the quality of rims produced in the past by Larry Lunz and later by Victory bicycles with comparable pricing.

Equipment is in place and, to undertake this project, I want to hear from serious collectors that do have a need for these rims or want to get some for future projects or “bicycle finds”.

I do appreciate your kudos for this project if you wish to add a LIKE etc. to this thread as I am trying to fill a needed void for hollow rims to keep the bicycle collecting/restoring/riding hobby alive.

Photos shown are of a built 30" rear wheel for a 1889 Victor Model A hard tire safety bicycle using a hollow rim and also of a 28” hollow rim for a single tube tire as found on a TOC bicycle that I have in process.

Will ship world wide.

Reply to my email address or Call me directly for questions.

Mike Cates, CA.
[email protected]
(760) 473-6201 Voice calls only and I do not text

11.jpg

Last edited:
To answer Farmboy's question, this is procured custom built special equipment and not Larry's equipment which later became Victory Bicycle's equipment.

Last edited:
It will all depend on how many actual customers I get to determine pricing.
Sorry to be so vague but material and labor costs play into units produced as with any manufactured part.
Mike Cates, CA

Back