Holy Horrible Hoops Batman!

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 23, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm doing sort of a flip on this old ladies 1941 Westfield Sterling. Just a clean up, re-grease, etc and hope to eventually sell. These rims are horrible!! The old chrome is just peeling off!

What should I do? I'm already into this bike for too much $$ as it is. New rims? Maybe just sand these down?

Any Ideas??

IMG_4627-1.jpg

fat tire trader

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Oct 29, 2010
San Quentin, California
www.fattiretrading.com
I would start by dripping penetrating oil into the spoke nipples to see if you can get the nipples to turn. If they are seized, which is the way it looks in the picture, then the wheels can not be trued, therefore, the wheels are not serviceable. I think that being able to adjust the spoke tension is more important than the way the rims look. If you can adjust the spoke nipples, then the cheap way to go would be to sand the rims and paint them.
Chris

rhenning

I live for the CABE
May 9, 2010
Sharon wi United States
If that is any indication of the bike and because It is a ladies I would part it out or sell it as is. The term "money pit" should mean something at this point. Roger

Buster1

Oct 23, 2011
Las Vegas
The rest of the bike is "not bad." I have considered parting it out, but a lot of the ladies parts on her are not universal. I'm kinda in the "anti-part out" camp anyway. We'll see. I can do miracles with just a thorough cleaning...and I got some new kickin' tires for her too!

T2eC16VHJHgE9n0yFjiBQwjioMerg60_3-1.jpg

Waterland

Finally riding a big boys bike
Sep 27, 2011
Minneapolis, United States
Don't part out such a great bike! Clean it up and sell it as is. There is some great original paint on there that looks fantastic. With all the parting of girl's bikes, complete originals become even more scarce. Save the ladies (bikes)!

slick

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Apr 1, 2010
Modesto,Ca.
Bicyclebones sells repop dropcenter hoops on ebay already chromed for $50 a pair i believe. I have a few pairs. They look good once they are laced up. That would make that bike really pop! Don't part it out!!!!

scrubbinrims

Sep 2, 2010
4900 New Kent Rd, Richmond, VA 23225, USA
You bought her for the light to put on another bicycle, so technically, she has been parted out.
If you're intending on selling, I would not sink one penny into her, just cleaning up.
Repop hoops may not be what the potential buyer wants (probably already has a replacement if a collector) and won't necessarily bring in more buyers or profit.
Why dig a deeper hole?
Chris

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Buster1

Oct 23, 2011
Las Vegas
Good words all. Thanks. Chris, I have taken the light for my '41 Westfield, however, I have an identical replacement (that works!) in cream that will go on in its place on this ladies '41 green and cream Sterling.

Just that these rims are nasty!

slick

Apr 1, 2010
Modesto,Ca.
You could always include the old crusty hoops in the sale. If a girl buys it, it might sell a bit faster if it's a dialed in rider. So what will the price be? I know a few girls that ride with our group that might want it....

cyclebuster

Finally riding a big boys bike
Nov 9, 2011
i doubt that incorrect rims would devalue it much, compared to what it has. Just include the correct peices for future restoration if they want, i would put rideable wheels on it, so its not useless. new incorrect tires, on later wheels would make that bike cool, with a nice polish.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!