When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy Horrible Hoops Batman!

-

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I'm doing sort of a flip on this old ladies 1941 Westfield Sterling. Just a clean up, re-grease, etc and hope to eventually sell. These rims are horrible!! The old chrome is just peeling off!

What should I do? I'm already into this bike for too much $$ as it is. New rims? Maybe just sand these down?

Any Ideas??

IMG_4627-1.jpg

I would start by dripping penetrating oil into the spoke nipples to see if you can get the nipples to turn. If they are seized, which is the way it looks in the picture, then the wheels can not be trued, therefore, the wheels are not serviceable. I think that being able to adjust the spoke tension is more important than the way the rims look. If you can adjust the spoke nipples, then the cheap way to go would be to sand the rims and paint them.
Chris

If that is any indication of the bike and because It is a ladies I would part it out or sell it as is. The term "money pit" should mean something at this point. Roger

The rest of the bike is "not bad." I have considered parting it out, but a lot of the ladies parts on her are not universal. I'm kinda in the "anti-part out" camp anyway. We'll see. I can do miracles with just a thorough cleaning...and I got some new kickin' tires for her too!

T2eC16VHJHgE9n0yFjiBQwjioMerg60_3-1.jpg

Don't part out such a great bike! Clean it up and sell it as is. There is some great original paint on there that looks fantastic. With all the parting of girl's bikes, complete originals become even more scarce. Save the ladies (bikes)!

Bicyclebones sells repop dropcenter hoops on ebay already chromed for $50 a pair i believe. I have a few pairs. They look good once they are laced up. That would make that bike really pop! Don't part it out!!!!

You bought her for the light to put on another bicycle, so technically, she has been parted out.
If you're intending on selling, I would not sink one penny into her, just cleaning up.
Repop hoops may not be what the potential buyer wants (probably already has a replacement if a collector) and won't necessarily bring in more buyers or profit.
Why dig a deeper hole?
Chris

Back