When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home Chrome, Homies?

-

NoControl

Look Ma, No Hands!
The more I get into old bikes, the more I realize that some parts are valuable. Stems, cranks, chainrings, etc could be chromed, but I'm wary of having them gone too long, or getting screwed cash-wise. Hence, has anyone tried chroming at home, or is it cost-prohibitive? Caswell offers triple-chrome kits for as little as $660... wondering if its feasible enough to get a return on my money after a while?

I welcome your thoughts and advice! Thanks!

I dont know anybody that chromes at home.If the part is rare it may be best to leave as is.Some rare parts were nickle plated and not chrome.You can see the difference. Rechroming does reguire buffing down a piece and may ruin the piece if a novice tries it.If you do try it please give details and pictures so the CABE members can see the results.Good luck.

I dont know anybody that chromes at home.If the part is rare it may be best to leave as is.Some rare parts were nickle plated and not chrome.You can see the difference. Rechroming does reguire buffing down a piece and may ruin the piece if a novice tries it.If you do try it please give details and pictures so the CABE members can see the results.Good luck.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer whenever its "doable" without too much time or $$ involved. I retired as an aircraft mechanic from one job and a machinist from another. There's not much I cant do with metals; I've just never chromed. I've anodized a lot of titanium, but that's sheer simplicity compared to chrome.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer whenever its "doable" without too much time or $$ involved. I retired as an aircraft mechanic from one job and a machinist from another. There's not much I cant do with metals; I've just never chromed. I've anodized a lot of titanium, but that's sheer simplicity compared to chrome.
I know what ya mean.I was a machinist/tool and die maker.Always like to try the do it yourself first method.

I've rather come to the conclusion that since I live in a very country-fied somewhat remote neighborhood (we all have 3-5 acres), that a small 5 gallon chroming operation would be just fine. However, I dont think it would be cost-effective, and I wouldn't get a return on my investment for quite a while. I'm more of a machinist and restorationist than a marketer.

I looked into this a few years ago, I sounds doable but not some thing just anyone could do. Sounds like you might have the aptitude for it though. I say go for it!

I think there's a 'chrome' powder coating color that's decent. You can do that in the garage, with an old oven.

I think there's a 'chrome' powder coating color that's decent. You can do that in the garage, with an old oven.

Hey now, I think that you may be on to something! I did know about chrome PC-ing, but forgot about it. What I probably should do is to fab up a powdercoating oven using the guts from an electric stove, and give myself enough room to do frames.

Back