When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home made fork straightener

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Frequented Warhoops often "back in the day"...even bought a Crosley engine from them. That was the place that had all the GM future cars. Parked up front and rotting away. Talked to the guys there, they weren't even allowed to sell a bolt off those GM cars. Many years later I learned that at least one of them had been rescued and restored.
Guess you are right, probably be more trouble to try to scout out an old jack. I put an entry on here on my method of fork straightening using ratchet straps. Works good and I can use them for other things.
Junk yards sure ain't what they used to be but neither am I. Too darn old I guess. Rebuilt a lot of old cars with junk yard parts.

Mike

$20 bottle jack at harbor freight...I have straightened three Schwinn forks so far with no issues. The hydraulic version is not as nerve racking as a ratcheting car jack.

LL1hJ9E.jpg

After aquiring the Firestone Airflyte, I decided I need a fork straightener. Apparently the Little Brutes are hard to find and cost around $200. I didn't feel like waiting/searching or paying that much, so I decided to make my own.
Previously I have tried the @Robertriley method of deck railing, ratchet straps and wood blocks and had good success. I saw @rhenning fork straightener in that thread and decided I wanted to build one similar.

Here's the bike as I got it. As you can see the fork is bent pretty bad.

View attachment 775408
View attachment 775409

I started with an old bumper jack from ebay. Cost me $27.44 including shipping.
View attachment 775393

You people that never have to deal with snow, have probably never seen one of these before. It's an old snowblower shoe that I've had laying around for years.
View attachment 775394

A little cutting........
View attachment 775395

And a little welding
View attachment 775396View attachment 775397View attachment 775398

I used a front axle from a scrap wheel
View attachment 775399View attachment 775400View attachment 775401

Here's a couple "after" pics. It worked great!
View attachment 775402View attachment 775403

Over all it was a two beer job.
View attachment 775405

It can even stand up for storage!
View attachment 775406View attachment 775407

View attachment 775404

..and it's still a bumper jack!

$20 bottle jack at harbor freight...I have straightened three Schwinn forks so far with no issues. The hydraulic version is not as nerve racking as a ratcheting car jack.

View attachment 776360
Couldn't this technically be done with a scissor jack too? Just thinking about what I have laying around in the garage... I know I have the scissor jack, and I'm pretty sure I have enough scrap 2x4, and there's a Stingray Junior in the basement with a tweaked fork.

Back