When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Homemade rim dent puller help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jacob9795

I live for the CABE
Hi folks,
I’m trying to build a bicycle rim dent puller and need to know if the tool works best if the pressure points go inside the rim or on top of the rim as I have shown. It works as it sits now, but I need to hear some criticism to improve it. Thanks

A488F994-73D9-4E02-A4CC-61E4ECD9C6C4.jpeg

095D83BC-1C6E-4D80-A7AE-A6023F3CFFA4.jpeg

363F7E08-D77B-4730-9076-6EF457306667.jpeg

B5963026-40F5-499B-8F1F-FE014F22164A.jpeg

Nice! With that wood jig you are showing, you could use a large C-clamp too. Pushing from the top of the rim may not fix all dents, but looks good!
Best way to fix dents is to some how reverse the original impact, which takes some guesswork.

Seems like your on the right track.

Maybe more of a curvature on the wood so it cradles the rim more for reduced pressure points?

Un tensioning spokes will probably yield better results too.

View attachment 876465
Does that thing sit inside of the rim or on top of it? I’ve never owned or used a real one. I measured the inside horizontal of a dropcenter and it’s about 1.30cm, much more narrow than an S-2. Creating a narrow wood/steel insert for the valley of a dropcenter may compromise the contraption’s integrity. I’m thinking of making the blocks that make contact with the rim on what I have a bit wider with notching to keep the edge of the rim in place. I’ll work on it some more over the weekend, my wife told me to paint the living room :(

7C869114-496A-4663-930E-AAC14C18C764.jpeg

Does that thing sit inside of the rim or on top of it? I’ve never owned or used a real one. /QUOTE

When I worked in a bike shop they had one. Mixed results at best. I remember it working best on steel 27 inch rims that were thinner. Also remember it wanting to wind up due to friction when tightening. It needed a roller bearing or at least some type of bushing.

But lets face it, once a rim is whacked bad enough that this tool is an option, your chances of success are pretty low. But it is better than nothing.

Your homemade option is probally better due to its versatility.

Back