When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoodwinked at auction

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of shadiness going on with this year's auction it seems. This bike has very little chance to ever live up to it's price tag. Sorry for your loss of funds.

I would definitely expect more from an auction house that specializes in selling bikes.

I agree that both @Frank and Pam Skid Kings and @Mr. Monkeyarms have great points about remaining positive about the whole deal. In all reality what does $2k get you anymore. Yes, that's a bit of money but this is also a very nice bike. Maybe you could part it out to recoup.

Certainly a bummer but I wonder if you'd have any recourse anyway. Buyer beware.

All kidding aside, you can’t be in the bike hobby for very long, without taking it in the shorts once in awhile.
We’ve all been there, done that.
I just chalk it up to the high cost of an education.
You just learned a very valuable lesson.
If a bike has been repainted, you have to ask yourself why?
Sometimes the answer is benign.
Sometimes the answer is, that all is not what it seems to be.
Unfortunately, more times than not, the second answer is the rule, and not the exception.

Last edited:
I got this from the most recent copake auction and to me it feels like whoever copake got the bike from was intentionally fraudulent here.
The saying (YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR) Dosen't always apply, here he paid for a steel tank and a pot metal head shroud and got fiberglass. Was this an auction or an online auction from an individual, if it was an auction house they might not have known the details (faults), but an online auction, who ever listed it probably knew and knew not to mention it to get a higher bid. My 2 cents. I think that bike is beautiful and still worth the money.

I would think the auction house (Copake) should be aware of this because their reputation in the bike hobby is at stake, because now we all see a problem that will affect future listing and bidding. Maybe if its brought to their attention they could refund your money and relist it in their fall live auction.

I would think the auction house (Copake) should be aware of this because their reputation in the bike hobby is at stake, because now we all see a problem that will affect future listing and bidding. Maybe if its brought to their attention they could refund your money and relist it in their fall live auction.
I have contacted copake and they were not aware the bike has fiberglass parts. They asked me to send them pics and info, which I have now done, so now all I can do is wait and see how and if they want to rectify the situation.

Copake auction? I believe this should have been disclosed. I can see some repo pedals or other high wear parts e.g. grips and tires but when the money pieces are repo and especially fiberglass I think it should be noted. Had it been listed properly the bike would have done good to get half that bid. V/r Shawn
The auction house just uses the description they get from the consigner. They are actioners, not bicycle experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back