When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoodwinked at auction

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? They are not bicycle experts?

Quoting from their website : https://www.copakeauction.com/bicycles-splash/bicycles/
"We’ve come a long way since our first bicycle auction back in 1991. We have never forgotten that it is you THE COLLECTOR that drives the market. We have enjoyed bringing you some of the rarest and most desirable bicycles and related items over these many years. Michael Fallon’s passion for bicycles has propelled the Copake Auction to being one of the most popular and well respected antique bicycle auctions in the world.
In addition to the auction itself we also host the pre-sale SWAP MEET right on the property in our spacious country fields. The swap meet has a sort of “Fair” quality to it and is a priority pit stop for all bicycle enthusiasts. We see people return year after year from every corner of the world for a day of shared admiration, deal hunting and riding stories, and of course Shopping and Trading! These two days are more than just about selling, we try to make it a fun and informative event with food, special presentations and a 10 mile ride through beautiful Columbia County New York on our bicycles!"

If that doesn't add up to being "experts", I don't know what "expert" means!

BTW, who does the pre-auction "estimates" for them?

Here is a very interesting read about auction law : https://www.stimmel-law.com/en/articles/law-auctions
A passion for antique bicycles does not automatically qualify one as a technical expert. They are first auctioneers. I have seen plenty of incorrect TOC bicycle information of Copake descriptions historically but never felt it was intentionally misrepresented. If you consider the wide range of time period in the bicycles that comes their way it would take a panel of experts to scrutinize every nuance which may or may not be so obvious to others. But then, is that their responsibility?

As for the estimates, as far as I'm concerned, they mean nothing and I pay them no mind. One should be knowledgable and therefore content on what they're bidding, win or lose.

A passion for antique bicycles does not automatically qualify one as a technical expert. They are first auctioneers. I have seen plenty of incorrect TOC bicycle information of Copake descriptions historically but never felt it was intentionally misrepresented. If you consider the wide range of time period in the bicycles that comes their way it would take a panel of experts to scrutinize every nuance which may or may not be so obvious to others. But then, is that their responsibility?

As for the estimates, as far as I'm concerned, they mean nothing and I pay them no mind. One should be knowledgable and therefore content on what they're bidding, win or lose.

Well said.

Let's leave this thread on a happy note. Instead of running Copake Auction thru the wringer for what is obviously an 'oversight' let's give them credit where it is due. And they made things right and gave a refund. Copake Auction runs a straight up auction and have been for many years. One auction a year is dedicated to the bike collecting hobby. Looking at the subject bike-beautiful and fully restored-can you see why they wouldn't dismantle the bike to see if in fact the tank was tin or fiberglass? The answer is simple-they are not going to unscrew and chip the paint just to find this fact out. They did the best they could with information passed to them. When new information was discovered-they immediately gave a refund as their reputation is on the line and bad news travels fast-especially here on the CABE -the pulse of the hobby! Copake Auction has made good with the buyer and I am sure the bike will find a new owner and they will be just delighted with it! Lighten up everyone-its only a hobby.

Let's leave this thread on a happy note. Instead of running Copake Auction thru the wringer for what is obviously an 'oversight' let's give them credit where it is due. And they made things right and gave a refund. Copake Auction runs a straight up auction and have been for many years. One auction a year is dedicated to the bike collecting hobby. Looking at the subject bike-beautiful and fully restored-can you see why they wouldn't dismantle the bike to see if in fact the tank was tin or fiberglass? The answer is simple-they are not going to unscrew and chip the paint just to find this fact out. They did the best they could with information passed to them. When new information was discovered-they immediately gave a refund as their reputation is on the line and bad news travels fast-especially here on the CABE -the pulse of the hobby! Copake Auction has made good with the buyer and I am sure the bike will find a new owner and they will be just delighted with it! Lighten up everyone-its only a hobby.

I second

An original tank & shroud for that bike if you find them will cost more than you just paid for the bike. I'd be happy to buy the tank & shroud from you. The only original tank I've come across went for 1200 at ML several years ago & it was pitted & missing internal parts. You might take a magnet with you to the next auction. Good luck

An original tank & shroud for that bike if you find them will cost more than you just paid for the bike. I'd be happy to buy the tank & shroud from you. The only original tank I've come across went for 1200 at ML several years ago & it was pitted & missing internal parts. You might take a magnet with you to the next auction. Good luck
It was an internet auction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back