When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot Steaming Pile of Ted Williams

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ebasnett

Look Ma, No Hands!
1B783270-C890-4D21-8F97-170E61BC7893.jpeg

I didn’t even buy this. I stopped at a garage sale. Last day of the sale- when folks get desperate. I showed a bit of passing interest in this bike and the guy having the garage sale told me that if I was interested, I should load it up and haul it away. $0.

Turns out I was talking to the original owner who bought it new at Sears in 1973 and proceeded to ride it to death before leaving it out under a carport for over 20 years.

I looked it over, hoping it was one of those rebadged, Austrian-made Puchs. No dice. It was made in Ohio by Murray. Oh well, don’t care. It may be the polyester leisure suit of 10-speed road bikes, but I’ll ride it around the neighborhood.

I’ve started knocking off the rust with steel wool and I’m repacking everything. Tonight I’ll true the wheels, throw on an old cruiser seat, north road bar, and replace the cables. The circa 1979 27” Western Flyer tires aren’t too bad and the tubes somehow still hold air. Can’t wait to cruise the neighborhood in “style” tomorrow.

865C5EC6-78BF-4CB3-9A37-E103E9B594E8.jpeg

Teddy’s signature adorns the reflective decal “head-badge.” A flat bar would be nice, too. I REALLY have a fondness for crappy bike boom bikes. I was an 8 year old kid in the late 80s and in the summer I would drag my Murray mower from house to house mowing lawns for $10 a pop. I would mow all day- and an 8-year-old with a couple hundred dollars in his pocket on Friday, feels like he just won the lottery.

My favorite thing to do was go down to the local Outreach Thrift Store which, in about 1988, always had a steady supply of Schwinn lightweights, Murrays, Huffys, Raleighs, Store label bikes, etc for $8-$20. I would buy whatever caught my eye- a budget 50s middleweight with blackwall tires and a registration tag from some local junior college, a 70s 3-speed lightweight the next week. I even snagged an early ‘70s Schwinn Breeze that still had the tags on it. A cheap, clapped out Sears 10-speed feels like Summer 1980-something.

Last edited:
I had a contemporary Murray built Sears, but it had the “Free Spirit” label. Something odd about the steel frame was that there was not a bridge in between the chain stays or rear forks … racing model!

I think this is the good “pile” thread of late.

Last edited:
Ted Williams played before I was old enough to get into baseball. I remember seeing him in the Sears catalogs. The NL stars were Hank Aaron, the Reds entire lineup, Tom Seaver, Don Sutton and such when I became old enough to go to the stadium. Good times.

Ted Williams is alive and well - great riding bike and like yours the price was right. Put air in the tires, and he rolls true - a little heavy for steep hills, but all in all a solid ride. I am keeping mine for the autograph! Live free and ride!!

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

IMG_4799.jpg

-----

front wheel likely a replacement since it exhibits an alloy large flange hub whilst stern wheel shows a steel small flange hub

pedals appear they may be CECOR

-----

View attachment 1406970

I didn’t even buy this. I stopped at a garage sale. Last day of the sale- when folks get desperate. I showed a bit of passing interest in this bike and the guy having the garage sale told me that if I was interested, I should load it up and haul it away. $0.

Turns out I was talking to the original owner who bought it new at Sears in 1973 and proceeded to ride it to death before leaving it out under a carport for over 20 years.

I looked it over, hoping it was one of those rebadged, Austrian-made Puchs. No dice. It was made in Ohio by Murray. Oh well, don’t care. It may be the polyester leisure suit of 10-speed road bikes, but I’ll ride it around the neighborhood.

I’ve started knocking off the rust with steel wool and I’m repacking everything. Tonight I’ll true the wheels, throw on an old cruiser seat, north road bar, and replace the cables. The circa 1979 27” Western Flyer tires aren’t too bad and the tubes somehow still hold air. Can’t wait to cruise the neighborhood in “style” tomorrow.
Not to bad for a Freebie.

Back