When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How bad are new Schwinns

-

Uniblab

Wore out three sets of tires already!
While I'm disgusted with the fact that bicycle shaped contraptions are made by Chinese owned former American brand names such as Schwinn I can't help but wonder how miserable they truly are.

Of course they pale in comparison with ones built in the US but taken on their own merits how poor are they? Found a year old Riverside (7 speed) for sale by a private party for under $100. I'd never buy one brand new as I don't want to support either Wally Whirled or the Chinese army (which masquerades as private industry) but buying from an individual is different, at least in my eyes (bloodshot and crossed though they may be)

Can't help but wonder how cheesy the "alloy" wheels are (code for aluminum) and other dubious things such as the derailleur. Good looking rig though as it has the classic cruiser look and even a rear rack. Thanks

The Chinese are probably the largest users of bikes in the world.They make Schwinns but they dont ride them.they ship the junk to the U.S.

Hate to say it but that makes them appear smarter than us, at least in this instance.

I avoid buying foreign as much as feasibly possible. That alone had me walking out of Wally and Sears when searching for our first family bikes, and that alone entered me into the great world of vintage bikes!

I'm going to guess that the Chinese Schwinns can't be as bad as the old ones, but I wouldn't say that would be too hard to achieve.:rolleyes:

Oh krap, I foresee some mushroom clouds a-brewin' on this thread LOL

I'm going to guess that the Chinese Schwinns can't be as bad as the old ones, but I wouldn't say that would be too hard to achieve.:rolleyes:

And you say I'M a trouble maker??? Oh, that's right, you also said it takes one to know one.

Last edited:
here comes the anti Schwinn army out to get Ignaz for setting the standard. Dave try not to screw up this thread like you did on the NBHAA one.

If you tramps don't behave I'll tell Leon on ya. Then the feces will really hit the air mover.

Schwinn quality is confusing,,,they make some very good bikes,,and some of the crappiest crap ever. I think it is a mistake,,,people get confused when they go to a bike shop and there are some high priced quality Schwinn bikes then they see 125 dollar Schwinn crap at Walmart.

Some craigslist bike flippers take advantage of this confusion,,I quite often see Schwinn bikes made in the last three years and sold at Walmart for 99 dollars like the Jaguar,,for prices as high as 250 dollars and the bike is real crap.

Back