When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How 'bout some Varsity love?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Doohickie

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked up this Schwinn Varsity Sport last week. The serial number tells me it's a 1973 model- the upscale one that came withe fenders

Here are my pics. If you have an old Varsity, let's see it!

100_0075-1.jpg

100_0061-1.jpg

100_0069-1.jpg

100_0073-1.jpg

cannot wait to this bike in person.(on a Dallas Sunday ride).the fenders really set the bike off!,i have had two but not the right size!..the Varsity is a true classic!. I hope it's a keeper for ya...i'am always scanning C/L for "THE RIGHT ONE".....

A couple of more recent shots. The Varsity Sport is now a Varsity Tourist, something Schwinn didn't make in 1973.

062509180400-1.jpg

Very nice bike. I just picked up a mint Collegiate deluxe 5 spd and it rides nice! I usually avoid anything with a derailer but i couldn`t pass it up for $10!!
Anyway, your bike looks great, even better with the new handelbars.

I had

the 24" varsity sport. My first 10-speed, 1972-3(?). Unfortunately, it was during the polariod craze and I doubt there is an image of it that hasn't faded away. Rode it everywhere.

Traded it in on a Schwinn Le Tour--my first "real" 10-speed. Rode it everywhere else.

Electro-Forged Love

More of these produced then any bike ever...
http://sheldonbrown.com/varsity.html
I can testify having assembled several trailer loads of them during early 70's bike boom! :D Beautiful minti models like ones you've posted exist as lasting tribute to Chicago Schwinn that was! We recently sold an exceptional 1971 20" Sierra Brown "Sport" - with OS branded rubber and though my all-time (sentimental) faves are long gone(??) this fixie my youngest and I put together a few years ago keeps rolling
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/dec/TomDeen.htm
It's so nice to see others up here as well! Thanks.

I have always been into balloon tire bikes and sting rays. My father always told me about his 65 violet varsity he had when he was a kid. I finally found one for him. I didn’t realize how nice these bikes really are and how fun they are to ride. Down tube shifters and sprint components. The photo of my Dad's newly acquired original violet one is below. I am working on a 64 Terra Cotta varsity now for myself. Looks like I was bit by the Varsity bug.

Enjoy,
Dan

Attachments

• 65 varsity.jpg
    65 varsity.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Back in the mid 80s, at the end of the Varsity era, I had a Schwinn import 10 speed, I think it reused the Traveler name. My Corvette was parked out of sight and mind, road bikes were on my mind. I ended up selling the Traveler, and bought a Voyageur, another import. It was a neat, light machine, but the suburban New Jersey streets were too much for the delicate alloy rims. It got so bad that the rear rim would start to taco when I went around a corner! The solution, of course, was to find an old Varsity on trash day, and swapped the S-6's on! Later, the bike was stolen from the bike rack at high school. I ended up finding a Huffy 10 speed and spraying it green and black camo to make it too ugly to steal!

My original Varsity

Here is a picture of my 69 Varsity.It is 100% original down to the cables and tires.I also have my wifes that is also 100% original.I have them hanging in front of about 30 other higher end road bikes.I keep them up front because they bring back some good memories even though they were not ridden much.
1969varsitymine.jpg
[/IMG]

Back