When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can I fix my troxel seat! help!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A

andrea2525

I took my old rusty troxel seat off of my '55 Schwinn hornet. I pulled apart the two plates of the seat and removed all the torn cushioning and leather/vinyl. The top plate of the seat was crumbling apart at the edges because it was so rusty. I sanded down the two metal plates. I bought new foam and brown vinyl.
I tried to reupholster the seat with the new foam and vinyl but it is so difficult. Should I be using glue or something? I thought I would just be able to wrap it all around the top plate and have it tucked in between the two plates, but this is proving very difficult to do. I can't get it stretched enough around the top plate and apply the bottom plate at the same time to hold it all in place.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel and just buy a new seat off of ebay or amazon. And then I can sell the two metal plates I have.

I'd like to have this vintage seat though if it can be fixed. Can anyone tell me what to do or what I'm doing wrong?

Spray adhesive helps, so does a box or two of the small black/chrome binder clips from the office supply store.

I have pictures of the seat I fixed last week. Spray glue everything! Thread is Elgin twin bar project.

I saw somewhere to boil vinyl or leather which will allow it to stretch. Then when it dries, it'll shrink back down and make a real tight fit. Never tried but it seems to make sense! Good luck

I saw somewhere to boil vinyl or leather which will allow it to stretch. Then when it dries, it'll shrink back down and make a real tight fit. Never tried but it seems to make sense! Good luck

That was a post I had made, but DON'T boil it, simply soak it in warm/hot water for a couple of hours, the leather becomes stretchy and very flexible, and when drying, it shrinks slightly making the seat surface drum-tight.
*Boiling will turn leather to mush.
*The hot water trick has no benefit for vinyl, but getting it warm will.

Oh okay, that sounds better yet. I have a bookmark for that thread and should have just referenced it but thought I had remembered well enough--guess not!

Back