When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can I straighten a steer tube?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dan Mahoney

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I've got my really nice '59 Columbia Thunderbolt torn down and have discovered a bent steer tube. No doubt an adolescent previous owner jumping curbs. I want to straighten it rather than replace the fork to keep it original. Any ideas on how to straighten it w/o ruining the paint. I tried using a large vise but no luck. Can the tube be removed from the fork and replaced? Help. Thanks.

bike shops have a tool, the biggest thing is when you try to bend it back not to oval the tube, so you need to find something that will fit in the tube to keep it round

I have a full machine/welding shop. I cut and splice a new steerer in place of the old one. In some cases, I bore out the steerer and replace it completely (not paint friendly). Splicing would require an inch or two of straight material above the crown area.

I use a hydraulic press and a set of curved dies to push it back. The dies keep the tube from deforming. Roger

want the cheap easy way? I have an old frame that was broken and I mount the fork, I put an old hub in the fork and I use a harbor freight ratcheting tie down to crank it back into position. turn the fork to the way you need to pull it and hook the tie-down's hooks to the hub and run the strap around one of the frame tubes (I usually use the seat tube) and go slowly. go a little past where it needs to be, it will spring back a little.
you can use the frame for the bike if you aren't afraid of hurting the paint.
this broken frame has served as many tools, it has turned out to be a very important item in my shop.

want the cheap easy way? I have an old frame that was broken and I mount the fork, I put an old hub in the fork and I use a harbor freight ratcheting tie down to crank it back into position. turn the fork to the way you need to pull it and hook the tie-down's hooks to the hub and run the strap around one of the frame tubes (I usually use the seat tube) and go slowly. go a little past where it needs to be, it will spring back a little.
you can use the frame for the bike if you aren't afraid of hurting the paint.
this broken frame has served as many tools, it has turned out to be a very important item in my shop.
A very handy tip, and not that far from how the average bike shop would do it.

Fortunately, things like forks usually straighten (rebend) in the same place they originally bent. There have been exceptions...

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the steer tube is bent right near the crown and also in the center.
I don't want to fatigue the metal and find out the hard way it was a bad idea. I guess I'm just going to have to find a decent replacement and try to get the original paint matched. Luckily I have the Dupont color #. Thanks again for the help. If anyone has a Columbia fork I would be interested.

If I ever find a bent fork, it is getting scrapped. I don't have the patience to waste time and money on a rather common part. Just send this one out and get a nice replacement. You will thank me for this advice in the future.

I've had to straighten almost every one I've had on an old bike! I've never had one break or cause a problem. they're made of fairly soft stuff.
young boys are hard on parts, I know I was.

P.S. any old forks you are scrapping I will take. sometimes the correct fork is not easy to find.

I've had to straighten almost every one I've had on an old bike! I've never had one break or cause a problem. they're made of fairly soft stuff.
young boys are hard on parts, I know I was.

P.S. any old forks you are scrapping I will take. sometimes the correct fork is not easy to find.

Trust me Scott, the bikes i'm restoring are easy to find forks for and parts donors can be had. It is just the tanks, racks, etc. I have trouble finding! Besides, I've never encountered a bent fork, not yet anyway. But someday I'm sure that I will, especially now that I just said that! ha ha.

Back