When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how can one not like restos

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
And the debate goes on. I’m confused why there is a debate over original vs restoration. If someone with skills decides to buy a bike and go through the time and expense of restoring it, why all the negativity. Most restorations start off with a bike or parts that are way beyond original. We take these less then desirable components and pour our blood and sweat into them to recreate the beauty and appeal that they represented when new. I am very proud of the restoration work that I have done over the years. I rarely share pictures of my work on this site because of the lack of appreciation, which is truly a shame.

And the debate goes on. I’m confused why there is a debate over original vs restoration. If someone with skills decides to buy a bike and go through the time and expense of restoring it, why all the negativity. Most restorations start off with a bike or parts that are way beyond original. We take these less then desirable components and pour our blood and sweat into them to recreate the beauty and appeal that they represented when new. I am very proud of the restoration work that I have done over the years. I rarely share pictures of my work on this site because of the lack of appreciation, which is truly a shame.
I go back and forth on this one. LOL
I repainted two of them for the reason you said. I started with a few rough parts, bought parts at swap meets and made a whole bike. I love them, but would rather have an original. I'm not very set in my opinion one way or the other. They're all beautiful works of art to me. Barry

Although I prefer original, I've got nothing against restos and in fact I own both kinds. Each have their own merits.
I usually don't put much thought in what people dislike.
I have the "block" option that takes care of that. :)
That's a good way of putting it.

There are Bikes out there that their condition is well past "Patina" (maybe brush painted that destroyed the originality) and are only good for scrap or be cannibalized for parts. That is the ones I like to bring back to as new as possible. It is hard not to over restore if you do not keep in mind what you want it to be. You can try to make an example of what the Factory made or the shiniest Bike at the Show. I prefer the close to Original as possible route. I also like Original bikes but I enjoy the work it takes to redo a bike more than collecting bikes. We all have our work to do, restore what needs restored and preserve what needs to be preserved and respect anyone who does either. Thanks for the CABE

View attachment 791884

View attachment 791885
The bike I posted above was a rusty poorly

I love restorations, originals, and there’s nothing wrong with using whatever you want, have, or can afford to put, or keep an old bike in the wind either.

Restorations a are fun to do, so I would never discourage someone from taking on a nice project.
I would only encourage them to take on something that cannot easily be done.
A bike that you're not likely to find any other way, or even something that very few people have ever seen before.
Most of the common bikes can be found in fair to excellent original condition, so spending the time and expense to gather and restore one, is kind of futile.
The education gleaned from a quality restoration project is priceless.
So be prepared to spend whatever it takes, have fun, and give something back to the hobby for the next generation to enjoy.

Well said @cyclingday

12c.jpg

Back