When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Can You Tell an Original Stingray Chain Ring from a Repro?

-
The first photo you showed me had an oblong positioning hole like mine. But the original one you showed me has a round positioning hole.

B4812914-8DE1-4F44-A778-A624B79AF42D.jpeg

F57B5001-4D96-4834-9F4C-D9A165ED695A.jpeg

The ring I posted that was off a 65 crank has a slight oval, it's not round. The repop I posted has a long oval and an overall crappy appearance. Yours looks like a Schwinn made ring to me judging by the finish and teeth which are more chisel looking. You have to understand that Schwinn used this ring for over 40 years and slight variations on any parts made that many years is common. The oval may have been enlarged sometime after 1965. The repops definitely don't have the finish/plating that yours has. The teeth in that Chinese ring look like little toes to me. LMAO

Yes, the pics you posted look like a legit sprocket. It's all about the forging shape and the beveled teeth. There were Lowrider brand sprockets made too with a very mirror like finish, but a very "square" forging. There are also larger tooth count sprockets made today that are pretty convincing in scale, but Schwinn only originally made them in the one smaller size. The larger ones I'm talking about seem to come in different grades of finish too...

Back