When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Common are 1910 to 1920's bikes to restore or build?

• Thread starter grey3speedfrmeuro
  • Start date
#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
G

grey3speedfrmeuro

How Common are 1910 to 1920's bikes to restore or build?

Interested in either restoring or modifying a basket case older bicycle from this era. Since the weather is so dry I am not looking to make a wooden rim bike would like a source for metal rims.

Would love a Harley Davidson (wich I understand was only a licensed name made by several other companies not all of witch were bicycle manufacturers)

Would consider other bike makers like Pope, Westfield, Columbia, Elgin, Colson etc. Are they affordable to buy? Are metal clincher rims available or would i need to convert to 2. 125 rims?

Since I live in Southern Arizona I dont have a budget to go to shows in California.

Got to one Collectors show in South Western Washingon in Sept. 2008 just as the exhibitors were leaving.

We have fantastic riding weather here in southern Arizona not sure why I havent heard of any bike meets here.

You can frequently find bikes of this vintage on eBay for something in the neighborhood fo $300-$500. Shipping usually runs in the $60-$100 range. I've been toying with the possibility of getting one myself, so I've been watching the auctions. You can usually find them under collectables>transportation>bicycles>complete bicycles.

For instance, at the moment, there's an old skip-tooth, truss-frame machine up for sale for $400. I'm not sure it's quite as old as you're looking for, but it must be close. Item # 290453620069.

Enjoy,

David King

BUT wide 700c tires and rims are available, and just about the same size. Salsa Gordos, Velocity P-35, etc. The original posters plan is to upgrade a period bike with modern parts. I'd recommend an Iver Johnson as a high quality frame, but they do have a non-standard bottom bracket size. But the Iver cranks are very nice to begin with.

Last edited:
Buy my Indian all ready to go for $5000.
Indianrtside-1.jpg

Thanks for your replys, I am new here.

I will keep watch on Ebay sounds like a good source for Pre 1933 bikes.

Now, for 28 inch tires, dosent Uniroyal Tire company (do I have the correct spelling?) have some for aprox 100 dollars each all, white, red or black? As for Rims not sure does the group in Grand Rapids, OH have them in 28 in?

Love that Indian bicycle you have. I grew up in and around Springfield,MA
Every year there is a show of Indian Motorcycle enthusists that show up to a small Indian Motorcycle Musuem to swap parts etc. Every once and a while I would see a bike.
Should have bought one in the 1980's when I had the chance.....

I used to go the the "Indian Come Home Rally" which was held in Springfield in the 70's but stopped going there when we moved to S.C. from NY State. Since you are from that area you might consider restoring a Pope/Westfield/Columbia as they were made nearby in Westfield. Columbia also made some Indians.
Here is another one I am restoring.
Archframe-1.jpg

Back