When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I date my Paramount?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
After putting considerable thought into this problem, I've decided I'm going to check into having the top tube replaced. I'm curious at this point, what the tubing on the Paramount is made of. Chrome moly, perhaps?

It's made out of dubble butted Reynolds 531. Waterforfd website quotes $250 to replace top tube. Andy Gilmour quotes $150. Check with a local frame builder. If you havent done so already you should look inside the tubes. Get a bore light and an inspection mirror, remove the fork and the seatpost bolt. in a dark rooom put the bore light in the vent hole in the top tube and look through thr seat post slot. for the down tube put the light in the vent hole and use the mirrow to look in the tube from the bb. For the chain stays light and mirror in bb its a little more dificult. It would be smart to plug the vent holes with Permetex silicon gaasket maker and fill the tubes with evapro rust over night to get rid of any rust on the inside of the tubes

Just now getting back to this, my latest project. Trainman, thanks for the advice. I have a gimpy bore light that usually doesn't work, so I'll probably just get a new one before I try out your advice. I have a small bright flashlight that I might see if it will work.

I did the next best thing, though. I have this big old Craftsman two-headed mallet -- one head's nylon and the other head's rubber. The dang thing's so old, the rubber head is just about as hard as the nylon head. Anyway, I decided there's one way to tell for sure just how bad that top tube is. So I smacked it all over with that mallet's rubber head. Immediately, the condition of that top tube became apparent -- which is to say, hmm . . . terminal. After smacking that tube all over, it stove in most of it. So next I took the mallet to the down tube -- it rang like a bell. I'm taking that as a good sign. The seat tube and the rear tubes also sang a bit in their own way, as did the forks. So, I'm seeing all this as good signs, although I will still try and do the bore scope inspection as well.

Next, I'll check around with local bike shops and see if there's somebody local that they use for the sort of repair I need. Then, failing that, I guess I'll look up Andy Gilmour. I have an automotive paint sprayer outfit, so I can paint the frame, if need be.

Send it to Waterford and let them decide it's fate.
As long as money is no object. If this is a keeper then maybe. If you are looking to move this it will be a money losing proposition. My 2c

Back