When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I get this off?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Balloonoob

I live for the CABE
I feel like such a newbie. How do I get this dang chainring off the crank? I've done this on a few bikes but usually the cone part has a flat section on both sides to grab hold of. This one does not. The bit that presses against the actual chain ring has a groove to tap on but I need the cone part off first (these are 2 pieces) right? I couldn't get either to grip on my vice. I actually stripped off the edge of my vice trying to grip it which has never happened before. Oh and which way do they spin off? Clockwise?

20210309_124205.jpg

20210309_124036.jpg

I mix 5W30 full synthetic motor oil 50/50 with automatic transmission fluid in a pump oiler, and hit anything that is stuck with the combination for a few weeks or so. Shake the pump oiler to mix it every time you need some. Never had it fail on bike stuff.
I use the same combination as lube in the Sturmey hubs around here, perhaps 15 of them in use at the moment. One New Departure is on it, too.

Ted

Back