When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I strip just 1 coat of paint off my bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

snickle

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a 1953 26 inch frame that has been repainted probably a few times, what would be the best chemical to use to figure out what the original color scheme was for this bike?

I read that aircraft paint remover gel was best, is that too strong?

a synthetic reducer such as xylene or I thin its spelled like that and can be found in most hardware stores.

Last edited:
Ether Synthetic Reducer or Xylene works great. Will leave the factory paint and take the rest off.

I've used Easy-Off oven cleaner with good results. What ever you go with, I'd test a small area under the BB shell to see how it reacts and how long it takes to work first.

Thanks for the replies, I will try xylene under the crank and see how it comes out.

I've used oven cleaner on a vehicle with a crappy respray before, but not no a bicycle. The result was pretty good. You can use a scotchbrite pad (Green for a lot of coats or grey for just one respray) Be careful and only do small sections at a time. I always kept a water source nearby to rinse if needed.

I have a 1951 Schwinn that has been painted over twice and I am using xylene for the first coat and very fine steel wool and wd-40 for the second. It takes a while but it has the best results for me.

Last edited:
Back