When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do You “pinch” A Schwinn Frame For Belt Clearance On A Whizzer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

El Hefe Grande

Finally riding a big boys bike
Does anyone know how to “Pinch” the rear seat stay and chain stay?

I want to pinch a Schwinn Frame on the seat stay and chain stay for belt clearance, just like the Schwinn Whizzer frames.

How was the indention or channel achieved? And with what tool?

Was this done by a hand press or by a machine?

There are folks out there that pinch frames…

It would be great if someone could chime in with some information or images of the process.

Regards

Jerry

Hi bricycle,

Thank you for the leads... I searched the site and did not come up with anything under "pinched".

Never considered "dimples" ?

Did you widen the rear stays?

no, just the standard balloon width stays. I suppose if you will be doing lots of riding you may wish to dimple.
Different manufacturers and different model bikes may differ quite a bit in the belt room department.
A middleweight frame might not have enough clearance as well.
I know Joe had done dimpling in the past.

s_torch2.jpg

Well Catfish is actually on to something... My Father took a straight bar frame over to his "Ford" buddies house... they took some type of "body-man" vice grips and welded a small strip to one of the ends. I do not have a picture though...

The area to be "Pinched" or "Dimpled" is heated up with a torch and then the modified tool is applied to indent the metal.

I was hoping to hear from a Whizzer Guy that has done this many times and would give some insight, share some tips on technique and on tools used...

Here is an image of something that was described to me...

Modified or Re-purposed Vice Grips.jpg

Before heating and dimpling, make sure the rear of the frame is secured in some kind of 'jig' to prevent mis-alignment. Otherwise the heat and 'drawing-in' of the metal will affect the geometry.

Joe Cargola has a die that is snugged up with bolts. It crushes the two dimples. He has even done this to an assembled Whizzer-- mine.

Joe Cargola has a die that is snugged up with bolts. It crushes the two dimples. He has even done this to an assembled Whizzer-- mine.

Do you have an image of this tool?

Or can you help contact Joe and see if he will post an image with some instruction?

Back