When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you clean out the rust inside the frame without removing the rust on the outside the frame?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bike from the Dead

I live for the CABE
I've got this 1961 Murray Meteor Flite I'm building as a rat rod bike, and while it's coming along nicely, there's one problem I noticed between the time I mocked it up, and the time I disassembled it.

See, when I installed the new bearings and bearing cups to test fit everything, they were all nice and clean, but when I removed them to clean them and grease them, they had turned brown with rust and sediment that was still inside the frame.

What I want to know is how to get rid of all or most of the rust, dust, dirt and debris inside the frame, without messing up the exterior look of the bike. I'm not stripping this bike down and painting it. I'm not even going to clear it or cover it in boiled linseed oil. I want to leave the bike looking as it is. I just want to remove as much of the interior rust and dust as best as I can, so it doesn't find its way inside the bearings after reassembly. Are there any good, inexpensive ways to go about this? Any help would be much appreciated.

I have been curious about this, too. The POR 15 sounds like a fantastic suggestion. I happen to have 2 cans of unused framesaver on my shelf - would that do the trick, too? Or will it not neutralize the rust... only prevent rush on relatively fresh steel? (thanks for allowing me to intrude on this thread)

I would not worry about it, but if I was I'd blow compressed air through the tubes to remove the loose stuff. then I would pour POR 15 into the tubes and swoosh it around until it covers the insides.

POR15 is made for Painting Over Rust. rust needs oxygen to grow, POR 15 encapsulates the rust and neuters it
Maybe a wire brush meant for the bore of a gun to knock the big stuff loose, then some air, then cleaner and POR?
I do have an air compressor with a blow tip, maybe that could work. I also have some cylindrical wire brushes I got specifically for cleaning out parts of the bike like this. The only concern I have is getting them stuck inside the tube, as they're short and need a socket extender to get deep inside the seat tube. What kind of cleaner do you use, @Drosentreter? I've heard of POR15 from the VW guys, but I don't have any on hand. I might see about getting POR15, but do I need the full kit, or can I get away with just a small can of POR15 paint? I do have some sprayable rust inhibitor I haven't used yet. Would that work? I'm trying to save as much money as I can right now, and if I can avoid spending any, that'd be even sweeter.

I do have an air compressor with a blow tip, maybe that could work. I also have some cylindrical wire brushes I got specifically for cleaning out parts of the bike like this. The only concern I have is getting them stuck inside the tube, as they're short and need a socket extender to get deep inside the seat tube. What kind of cleaner do you use, @Drosentreter? I've heard of POR15 from the VW guys, but I don't have any on hand. I might see about getting POR15, but do I need the full kit, or can I get away with just a small can of POR15 paint? I do have some sprayable rust inhibitor I haven't used yet. Would that work? I'm trying to save as much money as I can right now, and if I can avoid spending any, that'd be even sweeter.
I would also be concerned with the cylindrical brushes getting stuck with that set up… maybe try finding some with an attached wire handle?
As for cleaner I just mean thinner/surface cleaner. Cant really wipe down inside the tubes so a squirt bottle and a couple rags to catch it as it come out the bottom is about all you could do…

I would also be concerned with the cylindrical brushes getting stuck with that set up… maybe try finding some with an attached wire handle?
As for cleaner I just mean thinner/surface cleaner. Cant really wipe down inside the tubes so a squirt bottle and a couple rags to catch it as it come out the bottom is about all you could do…
I had a long brush with a wire handle, but I can't find it for some dumb reason. Maybe I could find another one at Lowes or Home Depot.

You mean paint thinner, like acetone? I'm not sure what you mean.

Back