When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you open this headlight? 1939 Colson Snap Tank Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

The Carolina Rambler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello everybody! I have this bicycle. It is a 1939-40 or so, Colson Built "Wings Marathon" bicycle I bought a few months ago. It is in good working order, and I am hoping to start riding it more here now, but I can't seem to figure out how to open the headlight. I think you turn the front bezel to the left or right to turn it on or off. The headlight is original to the bike, and is unbranded. I need to make a new plastic lens for it, and rewire it if needed, new lightbulb, but I just cant figure out how to open it. Any thoughts on how to open it? Also, if I don't just make a lens myself, do yall know of any places on ebay for example, that might sell a nice lens for it? Thank you all in advance for all of your help, and thanks for reading!

Here is the bicycle right after I bought it and rode it around for the first time; In front of a general store.

1575516156525.png

1575516310737.png

Here is the headlight on the front fender.

1575516424165.png

1575516461511.png

1575516494349.png

1575516526905.png

1575516160264.png

That is a good looking bike! Great patina. Good luck with the light. I think the little switch might move to the other side to release the bezel. Looking at things it might be frozen. Couple of drops of liquid wrench and see if it moves.

Hello again everybody! Thank you all for your help and advice with this headlight. I went and toyed around with it a bit more, and figured out how to open it. You have to gently squeeze the light body downwards while pulling the bezel; this gets the slot in the bezel that holds it closed up and over a tiny pin, and then the light is open. Tons of mud and some battery acid corrosion and dirt. Looks like some parts are missing, so the light will definitely need to be rebuilt to get it operational again, but nothing too bad. I wouldn't be surprised if no one has opened that in 60 years or more. Thank you again for reading!

1575564579132.png

Nice work on directions sheet @rustjunkie!

Has anyone addressed the other questions?

Og equipment? I am going to vote no aftermarket.

Manufacturer? EA labs? Or...

Looks EA. It has that telltale EA release pin. I've never seen a Colson originally equipped with anything other than Delta or the scarcely seen NETD. I suppose it's possible tho.

Back