When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you store your wheels?

-

Schwinn499

I live for the CABE
I'm gonna be moving some stuff around in the shop soon and wanted to make a more organized wheel storage area. Space is always at a premium as the collection grows, so I was curious what solutions you all have come up with.

I am in the same boat,I will be watching this thread .I have about 100 wheels and do not have an area big enough to put them all in one place .I have them hanging everywhere, from the barn to the bedroom.I spend way too much time scrounging around looking for what I need. A nice system for storing and cataloging them would be great.

I am in the same boat,I will be watching this thread .I have about 100 wheels and do not have an area big enough to put them all in one place .I have them hanging everywhere, from the barn to the bedroom.I spend way too much time scrounging around looking for what I need. A nice system for storing and cataloging them would be great.
That's a lot of wheels! I only have like 7 or 8 sets but that's still a bunch of wheels to find space for in my little garage.

That's a lot of wheels! I only have like 7 or 8 sets but that's still a bunch of wheels to find space for in my little garage.
It gets overwhelming,but I do not throw anything away . 80 percent of them are usable as is,the others are parts units,I salvage every piece I can,right down to a nipple. I used to tear the parts units down but found that was just taking up too much time. Also I am more of a visual guy, so seeing a complete wheel is easier for me to scan for parts.

Thought about this really hard one day. Really frustrating storing wheels or tires. A dozen or so isn't bad but when the amount is over a hundred it gets overwhelming. Besides selling them off at swaps for practically nothing , this is what I came up with and it works well.

OPPS! ..... How did that picture get in there? Darn Kids!
011.JPG

Where were we? Oh yeah, the photo below is a common 2X2 with a length of 1/2" metal electrical conduit piping inserted into it on an angle. Just go to a home center and buy some 10 foot lengths of conduit. Cut it into four 30" pieces. Also buy some 2X2 and cut into 36" pieces. Drill a half inch hole on a slight angle a couple inches down from the top.Insert your pipe into that. You can mount these wherever you like. I have never had a problem with them.
I just screw them to a stud with two screws. They are easy to move. Anyway, that's what I do......
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

Hang a 10' heavy pipe (black or galvanized 1/2" gas) and make hooks from heavy wire (heavy coat hangers work if you can find them). This way you can remove just one item at a time if needed.

Hang a 10' heavy pipe (black or galvanized 1/2" gas) and make hooks from heavy wire (heavy coat hangers work if you can find them). This way you can remove just one item at a time if needed.

Those old heavy black hangers are indeed handy. No longer made. The newer ones are light gauge but still work . I also make small hooks that I hang the pedals to bikes on. When you have a whole bunch of bikes the pedals are a real pain to store. Always searching for the correct ones . I make hooks and hang them on the bikes when they are off of them.
The wire that they use for the frame that holds those small political " vote for Me" yard signs you see all over around election days is a source of excellent heavy wire.
As far as getting wire hangers, I just go into the wife's closet and grab 'em ,tossing her clothes on the floor.....
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
010.JPG

Back