When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you warn/notify walkers on a bike trail/ride?

-
If the bike I'm on is equipped with a bell or horn I use it well in advance to give them notice or an "on the left". If it looks like they aren't responding I cock my right leg back and just before I get beside them I plant the sole of my shoe squarely in the small of their back while vigorously extending my leg. Some of them even get a step in before face planting! Ok just kidding--like Marty said a little courtesy goes a long way whether you are on a ballooner or road bike. Anyone who rides, walks, runs, or skates like they own the path is a douche to me! V/r Shawn

If the bike I'm on is equipped with a bell or horn I use it well in advance to give them notice or an "on the left". If it looks like they aren't responding I cock my right leg back and just before I get beside them I plant the sole of my shoe squarely in the small of their back while vigorously extending my leg. Some of them even get a step in before face planting! Ok just kidding--like Marty said a little courtesy goes a long way whether you are on a ballooner or road bike. Anyone who rides, walks, runs, or skates like they own the path is a douche to me! V/r Shawn
I do the same except the leg to the behind. It seems MOST walkers are okay with a bell or an on the left alert. Thanks for your take on this.

I use a bell. The old style, brass bells that sound like a mantle clock usually get the most attention because they are loud and deep compared to the "ching-ching" ice cream truck bells. The old, 3-inch diameter brass Lucas bells are my favorites. They have a loud, rich sound that people hear easily.

For modern bells, I like the brass "clock" bells with exposed striker.

I’m going to install this 5” trolley bell on my bicycle. They will hear me, from a block away!

15FD2F6B-4B03-4E14-8C51-9E4EB6CE4900.jpeg

63F45654-A7F6-4564-AAE3-47DDBB1F592D.jpeg

3BE4684F-9B07-454D-B924-A0C249C867D0.jpeg

21006F70-9C1B-4E2F-94C8-23BC79B580F5.jpeg

3578AF6F-E749-40BF-AB14-47A516780714.jpeg

11F09F09-F125-41CA-BED9-94056D301DF3.jpeg

How about a fender-mounted super soaker with cable-operated trigger. "Oh, sorry ! I didn't want to hit you"

Reactions: ian
Old fashioned round bicycle bell works best for me, as well as saying "passing left". Many wave or say "thank you" as I pass.
Park rules say to slow for walkers, which I do. I also speak to every one I pass. Both directions..."Good Morning"!!
I ride the trail at the same time daily, as do many of the same walkers each day, so we kinda get to know each other.

Old fashioned round bicycle bell works best for me, as well as saying "passing left". Many wave or say "thank you" as I pass.
Park rules say to slow for walkers, which I do. I also speak to every one I pass. Both directions..."Good Morning"!!
I ride the trail at the same time daily, as do many of the same walkers each day, so we kinda get to know each other.
I do the same. I have begun to ring the bell well before I approach, and that seems to help.

Back