When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you warn/notify walkers on a bike trail/ride?

-
As others have indicated, loud volume and advance timing both may be key. They are also inter-related, as the timing relates to distance (and speed), so the sound-maker has to project over that braking distance.
New spinner bells (Taiwan; China) can be quite loud, as are the 4” reciprocating cow-bell type (Coci?, Japan) once sold with Worksman bicycles.
1624125115369.png
1624125130312.png

For classic and antique bicycles sometimes the volume of an old klaxon or a used brass or steel bell just might not be sufficient. If the older items (perhaps for antique or classic looks) cannot be made effective; then perhaps consider a more modern bell as the primary?

I believe that yelling out port or starboard just confuses a lot of people, and not just the dyslexic ones.

Whispering accuse me may work as well, but may require the use of a kickstand.

Last edited:
I lived in Germany for a year and a half........all new bikes there came with a bell.....Most of the time a friendly sounding "jingle" does the trick......common sense .....European style!!!

Funny enough, generally my bikes squeak and rattle enough I dont really have to warn anyone Im coming. haha
BUT...generally I speed up and pass in the grass because Im too introverted to yell anything. Lol
Yeah the grass if no room on path!

My wife goes first often, a bit slowly, "excuse me, on your left" sweetly, gives big smile, after an exchange of Have a Great Day, and an occasional reply of Have a Blessed Day, she's made new friends and has taken inter-racial tensions down a notch hahaha (very diverse bike path users on our normal loop). I tend to ring my bell, took hers off cuz she'd rather talk (born social worker!). So when on my own now i speak up too, use bell only as backup, and just pass on the grass by big groups and children. And brake and slow down, its all exercise, speeding back up.

I lived in Germany for a year and a half........all new bikes there came with a bell.....Most of the time a friendly sounding "jingle" does the trick......common sense .....European style!!!
Riding in Europe and riding in the states is an apples and oranges comparison. I'd ride all weekend in Germany and never worry about getting clipped by a car. Here its all I worry about! People on the paths were well aware of the rules and paid attention to what was going on. V/r Shawn

Back