When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How I've Dealt with Heat Problem with WC-1 cylinder

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mason_man

Finally riding a big boys bike
Photo0008.jpg
Photo0004.jpg
Photo0003.jpg
I've used Dry Film Coating on the skirt of the piston and a Thermal Barrier on the top of the piston, also both valves top and bottom the combustion chamber of head. I pined the tops of the valve seats in three places.The pic of head and piston have coating already,head is NE.pic of 2 heads are the same WC-1 with 10mm plug hole left one milled and reshaped ready for thermal coating.this stuff works great.hope you like Ray

Very cool Ray! I've done no customization on my motor. The overheating has been very minimal so I've never been too motivated to do anything about it. I'm inspired by your solutions, keep us posted!

Hi Bud Good to hear from you yesterday took more parts in to be coated,I should have them back in 2 weeks.I'll post some pics of them whem I get them.The coating is defintely best for both WC-1 and NE cylinder,even if only doing the piston .I got my whizzer from new in 1999 and have had a chance to see all the different things done to help fix the problems.we where having,oil purging,valve seats lifting,milling head and then it gets a hair line crack near spark plug hole with 14mm plug heads.Don't forget to advance your timing 1 tooth WC-1 or NE and set your lifters at .009 exhaust and .007 intake for the WC-1. .006 intake and.008 exhaust for HP cams.When we first got our HP cams they didn't come with mushroom lifters,we used caseharden lifters,whizzer didn't use them and the lifters mushroom them self.I have some of the casharden lifters if you want them I can give them to you.Any ways I think its always good to give it to fresh eyes,their are 7 thousand of us out there with the same questions.Ray

DSCN2580.jpg
DSCN2581.jpg
DSCN2585.jpg
DSCN2582.jpg
DSCN2587.jpg
OK the parts got back from the coaters and also had the head,cylinder and exhaust manifold outter parts done in I.V.D. Ion Vapor Deposition This stuff is 99.9% pure aluminum vaporized and applied in a vacuume chamber.Ialso put in a air oil separator inside of the valve tappet area chamber to help the crank case ventaltion Reshaped the copper head gasket to fit the head properly. Open up the intake port to 20.8mm to use a 22mm carburetor if needed.All thats left to do is lap the valves.Any Whizzer people out there with either WC-1 or NEs? Any thoughts about this stuff anyone? Has anyone done anything similar? Thanks Ray

I'm impressed with your efforts to combat the overheating. Are you performing the machining work? I work at a machine shop and I'd like to "hot up" my motor someday, just having too much fun riding it to tear it apart! Keep us posted on your project...

Hi Bud Some of the quickest and easiest has been milling 60 thousand off head, that moves the compression up from about 90 to about 115, making it easier to start and idle.You should also use a copper head gasket besides helping it to run cooler you can use it over and over no need to replace.Also make sure head bolts don't bottom out, check the ones by the intake and exhuast.Inside the exhuast port at the top of the port near the valve there is sometimes a small casting extrusion if there is it needs to be removed with a Dremel grinder on the carburetor make sure that all spacers macth the opening.Advance the camshaft one tooth,advanced means the camshaft is rotated counter-clockwise one dot.after these changes you should run a strong 40 to 45 MPH if needed.you should also have a front brake to help stopping.I'll take some pics of the different carbs that Whizzer has used and the lifters.let me know if I can be of any help.Oh and I wish I knew your trade I have gone to deffernet shops to find someone,there aren't alot of shops that are set up to do this kind of work I can do a little back yard stuff

Thanks for the info Ray!
Yeah I'm no machinist but I'm slowly learning. Our shop is very well equipped and I work with some really talented "old timers"...I'm pretty lucky in that regard.
Not sure if I'm ready for my little bike to do 40mph, I think I'd want to beef up the frame or maybe even switch frames. Add front brakes for sure and a front springer fork...maybe get into it this winter. What do you think for front brakes? Got any spares you'd be willing to sell?

Hi Bud and Thanks,I went through some of my stuff and found my old Whizzer wheels that I had replace on my 99 Whizzer with workman wheels.I did find front and back drum brakes,only one front and 2 back drums.I'm looking for S-2 rims to put them on there setup for 105 spoks. the front drumis a Arai New,I bought these back about 3,4 years.I think I can locate them if you would like.back then the front was 75.00 and back 85.00.Thats great becoming a machinist its a great trade.I served 3.5 years as a apprentices to become a bricklayer and I served under some great old timers too, I miss them.heres some pics of what the drum brakes look like Thanks Ray

Attachments

• DSCN2597.jpg
    DSCN2597.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN2596.jpg
    DSCN2596.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN2598.jpg
    DSCN2598.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 109
Ray, yes I'm interested in the front drum brake. I'd be lacing it into a Worksman, if it's not drilled for those spokes I could open the flange holes. Let me know if you're willing to part with it and how much you want or if interested in trades?
And thanks for all the tip's, like I said I'd like to eventually re-work the motor on my bike. Just finished Burt Munro's biography, "One Good Run" by Tim Hanna (i think), what an inspiring story! He was an amazing man, I highly recommend it and of course the movie "The Worlds Fastest Indian" if you haven't seen it already....

Back