When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Light is Your Lightweight?

-
1948_schwinn_paramount_racer.jpg

1948 / Weight - with tubular tires and wooden rims = 20lbs according to the 1948 Schwinn catalog...notice no brakes

@SKPC Under 30 lbs is probably a good target for a modernized ride. Even with the Aluminum parts it's not easy I bet. Nice pics of the Hawthorne.
Yes Miq it was not easy to do so considering the frame/fork/3-spd hub is most likely 2/3rds of it. The Hawthorne rides like no other ballooner, believe me.
Interesting how bicycles evolved(or devolved/morphed) away from lightweight performance bikes into the Moto-Balloon era of the mid-30's when style trumped performance in order to sell more bikes. Weights soared and times were a' changing. It wasn't about going fast anymore, but more about utility and style. Then the multi-geared bikes kicked back in to swing the trend back the other direction as bicycle racings' influence on the industry was not quite dead yet and lighter weight setups came back into fashion. It really makes a difference in how an old bike rides if it is carefully re-constructed with light/modern parts. My interest in this hobby/sport combo is based on riding the bike, not looking at it. Prewar 26" ballooners are certainly not "lightweights", but there is something about the varied designs of these old 26" frames/forks that call for a good hot-rodding. You see many here on the cabe in fact.
I tend to get carried away with them(ie Hawthorne)...but man oh man when finished they are something else to ride. Looking forward to more weights and measures here.

@SKPC Nice perspective on the evolution. I like that there are so many ways today to enjoy these old bikes and their frames and parts. "Different Spokes for Different Folks" as some have said. There is no single perfect bike for everyone in every location for every use. I have more than one bike now because of it. I want to take Gramp's 41 off road but I realize it's not designed for it like my full suspension carbon Trek or old hard tail Specialized Rockhopper Comp. :)

But a classic 26" frame with front suspension, a Nexus rear hub, and MTB wheels/tires would be a ton of fun in the desert... The original klunker philosophy makes a lot of sense to me, and I want to get into it some day. My bike as a kid was a stripped down Schwinn coaster that I rode in the woods with my buddies on their BMX bikes. It was mountain biking before anyone I knew called it that, and my "pre-klunker" could keep up. Maybe I'm still searching for that childhood fun I had on my blue bike.

Your Hawthorne, and the places you get to on it, are inspiring and show how potent that style of bike can perform with some strong legs driving the cranks. :cool:

Last edited:
Recently converted a World Tourist from 3 speed IGH, to a 7 speed rear (even stepped), with a 52t front. Removed fenders and chain guard; sub'd alloy components for the steel rims, brakes (lever and caliper), handle bar, cranks, chainring, stem, pedals, and seat post. Replaced saddle with lighter weight cruiser seat, and installed a Schwinn post mount rear rack. Managed to bring it down to 28 pounds on a shoestring budget. Gifted to a 60 year old friend who now loves to cycle about instead of driving. My only Schwinn left is a near original (new tires/tubes) '75 Varsity. Presently going on sale due to frame size being too big (Model 126, 66 mm, 26" frame) for a 5'7" guy. Find here: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/schwinn-varsity-1975-model-126-40980#
No photos on my device ☹️.

Thanks @HPL! That World tourist at 28 lbs sounds like a blast. I'd love to see a pic if you can dig any up.

Your Varsity looks really clean. Hope a tall rider buys it soon.

Back