When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Light is Your Lightweight?

-

Miq

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I weighed my 1941 New World W1M today. It is 36 lbs. What does your lightweight weigh?
1571554974041.png

Yeah my 51-53 Schwinn Lightweights are anything but light, haven’t weighed them but noticeably heavier than an average road bike.

20190805_120143.jpg

1979 Suburban - Front freewheel System
(Rear rack, and generator light)

About 41 lbs naked / combat loaded ( Rhodegear bag, packed with a"D" lock, tools, tubes.. plus water) about 47 lbs.
20190801_154539.jpg

1972 Varisty
(chrome Wald fenders and rear rack and speedometer)

About 37 pounds.

View attachment 1081578
1979 Suburban - Front freewheel System
(Rear rack, and generator light)

About 41 lbs naked / combat loaded ( Rhodegear bag, packed with a"D" lock, tools, tubes.. plus water) about 47 lbs.View attachment 1081580
1972 Varisty
(chrome Wald fenders and rear rack and speedometer)

About 37 pounds.

It makes a difference and it's more accurate if you're naked while standing on the scale while holding the bike. :p

Thanks @Sven and @Jeff54 ! 36 lbs is not out of whack then. I can see how adding a few more gears and racks would add a couple more lbs. 19 lbs is insane and that Trek looks fast. I bet those wheels are a lot truer and present much less rolling resistance than the Kenda K23s on my beat up S6 rims. :p You can't hop the railroad trax like me though...

@SKPC Under 30 lbs is probably a good target for a modernized ride. Even with the Aluminum parts it's not easy I bet. Nice pics of the Hawthorne.

@GTs58 That's a sharp big frame bike. Just under 36 lbs is right in the sweet spot. Thanks for the close ups!

Back