When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Light is Your Lightweight?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1912 Iver Johnson Special Racer with heavier new wood wheels with thicker spokes and a coaster brake is about 28 lbs. I can't remember if that was with the bag or not, but probably not.

1571861456004.png

This one is here at the house also so I weighed it.True 1961 Continental tourist with the heavy stem, bars/grips, saddle and bow pedals. Original bike other than the tires, tubes, shorty replacement fenders, cables and brake pads. It comes in a 35# and I was only half naked when weighed. I'm confused though, it should be a couple pounds heavier than my 62 so I'm scratching my head. Guess that generator light is an anchor.

35 pounds

1961 Continental Tourist 003 (Large).jpg

35.2 pounds. Go figure ??

62 Conti 3.jpg

So easy to pick the New World frame off the wall. It's almost exactly like the OP, Miq's. even down to the paint. Just the frame, fork, headset seat post. 1945ish Wartime blackout model, original with 1 piece crank 1" skip tooth, and New Departure hubs.
10.2 lb. Seems like a careful build up might make it kinda light if I can find some light bars and wheels.

@Alan Brase Somehow 10 lbs quickly turns into 36 lbs when you add the rest of the pieces. :D Keep us posted as you add more stuff!

@GTs58 That 35-36 lb mark is a sweet spot for these Schwinn bikes we like. :)

@Duchess That 1912 Iver is super cool. Sub 30 lbs is GREAT!

@rusty_apache posted a pic of his 1897 Wasp that looked like a very early lightweight. Wonder what it weighs...

Last edited:
Probably was a nice lightweight bicycle before his meltdown and tantrum.
giphy_1.gif

What a dick move...First - that is his friends bike. Not his. Second - He has blocked half the track with shattered bike debris.

I also weighed my 1973 Paramount P13. It's a 25 inch frame, so a bit heavier than some: 25.0 lb
I've substituted 700C rims and tires, and Silca frame pump, so it may have gained a lb or so. It may have been advertised at 23lb from new?

@Alan Brase Thanks! 70's Paramount is nice and light.

While not lightweights, I weighed my two "modern" mountain bikes this morning for comparison.

Late 90's Trek 8700 Carbon/Aluminum = 26 lbs
IMG_4644.JPG

Early 90's no suspension Specialized Rock Hopper Comp w hybrid tires (basket included) = 28 lbs
IMG_4645.JPG

@Alan Brase Somehow 10 lbs quickly turns into 36 lbs when you add the rest of the pieces. :D Keep us posted as you add more stuff!

@GTs58 That 35-36 lb mark is a sweet spot for these Schwinn bikes we like. :)

@Duchess That 1912 Iver is super cool. Sub 30 lbs is GREAT!

@rusty_apache posted a pic of his 1897 Wasp that looked like a very early lightweight. Wonder what it weighs...
The 1897 Wasp weighs approximately 31lbs according to the bath scale process

Back