When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many 38 bluebirds are out there?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The frame IS the bike. That's the part with the serial number. If there was a bare Blue Bird frame somewhere, it's location and condition should go in the registry. Potentially, ALL bikes could go in the registry. Most bikes wouldn't because most people wouldn't bother submitting the really common bikes. However, if you had a complete bike or even just a frame you wanted to enter into the registry, why not? It's just information. It's not like it's taking up room on a shelf.

Photos are a different issue. There's no need for photos of bare frames except in the case of the rarest bikes or bikes of a particular vintage. If offline storage were being used, photos of every entry could be kept if submitted. Online storage is expensive. Offline storage is cheap.

The registry WOULD need basic defined boundaries though. Who gives a hoot about chi-crap Walmart bikes? I think specific brands and minimum vintage would be sufficient parameters at first.

It's too big of a task to do broadly from the start. It would have to start just like Nick is doing. Gather the info on a specific bike then gradually expand as that info is harder to come by.

Doesn't the 38 BB and Robin share the same frame?

yes, but the bluebird frames have a shortened seat post, no headbadge screw holes or head tube grease port.

I have also seen slight differences in the down tube but that just might be from weird angles.

Nick.

Doesn't the 38 BB and Robin share the same frame?

This is just ONE example of the stuff you would run into. Like I said a daunting task and again-rare does not necessarily = valuable. I don't think more than two of us could agree on the top five bicycles worthy of doing a registry on. But hey party on Wayne! V/r Shawn

yes, but the bluebird frames have a shortened seat post, no headbadge screw holes or head tube grease port.

I have also seen slight differences in the down tube but that just might be from weird angles.

Nick.

Shortened seat post?

XUuGoJe-1.jpg

as far as badge screws and grease port, great assumption, but true? I do not know. Would not surprise me to pull off my shrouds and find them...but I am probably too lazy to do it. Plausable to think that when on the assembly line, if they ran out of undrilled frames, that they would grab a drilled frame and paint it.

there could be those out there that have the grease port but, it is extremely unlikely as I have viewed 4 frames now that had no grease port or head badge holes. mine, the hartung, a striped frame and a picture of my buddies taken apart for shipping. as for the shortened seatpost comment, I was referring to the early robins that had a longer seatpost. If you ever get the time i would love to see what the inside headtube of yours looks like scott.

Nick.

Shortened seat post?

XUuGoJe-1.jpg

as far as badge screws and grease port, great assumption, but true? I do not know. Would not surprise me to pull off my shrouds and find them...but I am probably too lazy to do it. Plausable to think that when on the assembly line, if they ran out of undrilled frames, that they would grab a drilled frame and paint it.

yes a lot of work . what would you consider rare as far as a total number of varified orig. bikes. 100- 50- 10 in the world as being known to exist.

like the schwinn double duty prewar canti. people talk about only a few existing. and the bluebirds being tracked up to 38 + ect people are saying that is rare some people say its not . what is considered rare in the bike world as far as # of bikes of a certain model existing.

i am talking production bikes. that were advertized not highwheels or bone shakers just balloon tire bikes . what is the top five bikes considerd the holy grail in the collectors majority opinion.
if you could make a wish to have one bike what would it be . anything you wanted ,time machine status fly back to the year and buy it of the showroom floor for the retail price of that time . with all the dealer offerd extras all the bells and whissles . any color .... anything.

Umm, highwheels were heavily advertised, and boneshakers were advertised also. So were hobby horses. Highwheels were definitely a production bike too, and some boneshakers and hobby horses could be called production bikes. I do keep track of some of the early bikes, I know where most all of the Eagle high wheel safeties are, most New Rapids, many Columbias, Victors, Rudges, etc..

there is a lot of knowledge there.

I have a long way to go before i even learn what all the balloon tire bikes /manufacturers were . ect. but a registery for some of the rarest bike makes would definitely be interesting to see materialize.

pelletman you could input the stuff you recorded from pre 1900.

Umm, highwheels were heavily advertised, and boneshakers were advertised also. So were hobby horses. Highwheels were definitely a production bike too, and some boneshakers and hobby horses could be called production bikes. I do keep track of some of the early bikes, I know where most all of the Eagle high wheel safeties are, most New Rapids, many Columbias, Victors, Rudges, etc..

Back