When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many Cabers have ridden 100 miles on a bike all at once?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
[QUOTE="bikiba, post: 1037479, member: 66887_________
the key isnt the distance it is the head wind and elevations!! I can roll down hill forever with wind at my back for 100mi, if you have to climb 7000ft while putting in the miles THAT is the difference.

That’s for sure!
The downside of riding down to San Diego and back, is that you’ve got a headwind the whole way back.
There’s a few good hills along the way, but the climb up to Torrey Pines is a killer, and that comes at about the 70 mile mark.

I did a 50 mile ride once with my Boy Scout troop on my 2 speed ranger. I’m planning on doing a full century on a road bike this summer but I haven’t found the time (or a good enough route yet) the photo is one I took immediately after the ride, we stopped and started at my school
3589AB37-7542-4BD9-B451-49FC24B0B0AE.jpeg

I agree.
All of my long distance rides were on road bikes.
I did do some Gonzo Mountain Bike rides, of 70+ miles, with over 10,000 feet of climbing, so those rides were actually much harder physically.
The long road ride is more of a mental thing, but you can Bonk if you’re not careful, and then your toast no matter what/where you’re riding.
The longest Vintage Ballooner ride I’ve ever done was about 50 miles.
It wasn’t really that hard to do, but it is time consuming since the pace tends to be so much slower.
On that ride, I washed out in the sand and got road rashed and bruised a couple of ribs at about mile 4, so by the time we got back, I felt like I had gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson. Lol!

One of the most grueling and yet epic mountain bike rides I ever did, was with one of my best MTB buddies at the time.
We had been in the mountaineering store, Adventure 16, and they had this huge relief type topographical map of the whole state of California on the wall.
We were looking for remote single track trails in the back country of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and spotted one called the rattlesnake trail.
Because the map was in relief, we could see that it was about 11 miles downhill all the way.
We decided to take the next day off work, and go check it out.
We got up to the meadow where the trail began at about 9:00 am, and couldn’t wait to get going.
Up in that part of the Sierras, most of those trails were made long ago, when they still allowed motorcycles up there, so the berms were perfect for two wheels.
We blasted down that thing like we were on a roller coaster.
I’m not sure what the elevation drop was, but it’s safe to say, it was many thousands of feet.
When we got to the bottom, we were at the upper Forks section of the Kern River.
Class 5 whitewater all the way.
If you look at Mt. Whitney from Lone Pine, we were on the back side of that.
We realized that we had crossed over into the Golden Trout Wilderness, and we weren’t supposed to be back there with Mountain Bikes.
We thought about going back the way we came, but loop rides are always more interesting, so we pressed on.
We ran into an old cowboy on horseback, and he was intrigued that we had gotten so far back into the wilderness on bicycles.
So we chatted with him for awhile and he told us about a hot spring that was up the canyon and had mentioned that once we got there, that it would be down hill all the way back to where we had started.
With that juicy piece of intel, we pressed on.
Well, eventually the trail turned into a long procession of rocky stair steps, so off the bike it was, and it was Hike a Bike the rest of the way.
We eventually reached the hot springs, and it looked like something out of the Swiss Alps.
The hot springs had these little cabins built around them, and each one had a cast iron bath tub that you could regulate the temperature on.
Awesome, doesn’t even begin to describe it.
So after a nice long soak, we realized that we were in a bowl surrounded by the highest peaks in the Continental United States.
Not only wasn’t it down hill all the way, it looked like it was near vertical uphill in every direction.
By this time, it was about 4:00 in the afternoon.
This was late October, so I knew the temperature would plummet once the Sun went down.
I suggested that we just stay at the hot springs for the night, so that we wouldn’t freeze to death. We might look like a couple of prunes in the morning, but that was certainly better than the alternative.
My buddy was beginning to panic, and he wanted to press on.
On the map, we had seen a Forest Service station in a meadow at the top of the climb out.
So, off we went.
It was so steep and rocky, that we were bent at the waist with our arms stretched out pushing the bikes up the whole way.
We reached the meadow just as it was getting dark, but we could see a cabin on the far side of the meadow.
We rode around on a buttery smooth single track that felt soooo good at that point.
When we got to the cabin, we realized that it wasn’t a staffed Ranger Station, but a remote snow survey cabin for when they measure the snow pack for all of us thirsty Southern Californians.
The door had a Hasp that had been jimmied open so many times, that it was barely hanging in there.
My buddy looked through the window, and saw a stack of firewood and some sleeping bags, and pronounced, that “This place has everything we need.”
With a half hearted tug of the door lock, and it was open.
Pretty soon we had our wet socks drying by the fire, and a can of Chile Con Carne cooking on the stove.
For that one night, we felt like we had the World by the Balls.
Best nights sleep of my life.
We woke up the next morning to a light frost and about 20 degree temperatures.
There were Deer in the meadow and not a sound other than the blood rushing through our ears.
We each left a $20.00 on the counter with a note of thanks, and re fastened the door shut with some horseshoe nails, and off we rode.
We eventually got back to my truck around noon, and loaded up for the long drive home.
On the way down the mountain, I spotted a truck coming up the road that looked just like my Dads truck.
IT WAS MY DADS TRUCK!
Oh shut!
He pulled up with my buddies wife in the passenger seat and said in a stern voice,
“ Where have you guys been?”
We explained what happened, and he was relieved, but said that we needed to stop at the Ranger Station in Kernville to call off the search party.
I asked him if we should mention breaking into the cabin, and he said, that it might be best if we just left that part out.
That old saying, about,” All’s well that ends well” was never more true.
It was tough and uncertain how that ride was going to turn out, but in the end, that’s what made it so epic.
Hands down, the best time spent in the saddle of a bike for me.
I’ll never forget how spectacular that Sierra high country was.
I never did figure out the mileage of that one, but it took us the better part of a day and half to make the loop.
Another one of those, I’m glad I did it, but I knew, I’d never be back there ever again.

Last edited:
^^^^ never really did an epic mountain bike ride in actual wilderness that was not 30 minutes as the crow flies to civilization. kind of hard to get too far from people here in the Bay Area, though we do have a great many trails all over the place. I had maps with all of them and every weekend would do a different one, and during the week ride the same one close to home all the time. probably never went more than 15 - 20 miles off road.

I have worked in bike shops off and on since the 80's. Every summer there would be organized rides to benefit one cause of another so I would always volunteer to ride along and fix peoples bikes when they broke down. Basically I wanted the T Shirt, but I didn't want to pay the entry free. :) So when I say "Been there, done that and I got the "T" Shirt." I aint kidding. Of course now most of the shirts have shrunk down so badly some how, they no longer fit..
;) I have NO Idea HOW that happens.

I am pretty sure that there were a few rides close to that when I was a kid.

The craziest ride I ever took part of, was when my younger brother (11) and I (12) had the brilliant idea to ride our bikes to Mount Lemmon, when we lived in Tucson.

It sounded great, so I hopped on my Sting Ray and he got on his Spitfire, both bicycles of the 20" wheel variety and off we went. We didn't make it to the summit, we only went a little past Whitetail, we were a bit tired and only had our boy scout canteens with us.

The ride back down to the valley was much quicker than the ride up the mountain. I will say that I do not recommend this ride to anyone, on a single speed bicycle, you will feel it the next day. As I recall, kids can do some stupid things.

1561000639797.png

I have also riden the STP(Seattle to Portland) ride once. That was in 1987 with a seminarian friend of mine. He gave me my first road bike, a Volkscycle left behind at the Mt Angel Seminary. I did the STP on my Trek 360 road bike, riding a double century to Portland. It was a fun accomplishment, but I don't know if i could or would do it again.

Back