When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many Cabers have ridden 100 miles on a bike all at once?

-

49autocycledeluxe

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I'm an old fart now, and have no plans to do another, but back when I was young and handsome I'd usually go on a couple 100 mile club rides every summer.

the last long ride I did was 100 K (60 miles) in 1996 when I was 36 after a long summer of mountain biking and losing 40 pounds. the furthest I have ridden in the last couple years was only about 15 miles.

just curious who else is masochistic and loves to punish their bodies.

I've done it twice now.
Last week on my 1942 Elgin Tiki Cruiser.
I'm 55 now; and meet more seasoned riders all the time.
@fattyre @TR6SC @SKPC

IMG_1975.JPG

how many Cabers know how far 100 miles actually is?
It's 15 miles from the Wedge in Newport to the Water tower in Sunset beach, round-trip 30 miles.
I rode it 3 times consecutively, with 5 miles each way from my house.
I left a little after 5 am and got home just after 4 pm.
I had lunch for close to an hour, and stopped 4 or 5 times when I wanted to.
I was not in a hurry; it was for fun; I will do it again.
When I left Marty @cyclingday after lunch, I had 1 more loop to do, which took me a little over 3 hours.
IMG_1988.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 4.19.47 PM.png

Last edited:
Back when I was in my 20s, I woke up and realized that it was the Summer Solstice. Since it was the longest day of the year, I wanted to do something that would take all day.
So, I jumped on my Raleigh Competition GS and headed for San Diego.
I left around 6:00ish in the morning, and returned around 5:00ish in the evening.
I rode straight through to the town of La Jolla, which is just north of San Diego, stopped long enough to eat a sandwich, and then headed back.
The Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base is just about the half way point, and was pretty tough to get through on the way back.
That was about the 120 mile mark, and was like crossing the Sahara Desert.
It’s only 17 miles across, but that seemed like the longest 17 miles of my life.
When I got to the Camp Ground at San Onofre State Beach, I came across a Roach Coach selling food to the campers, so I stopped to eat a Snickers Bar and drink a Coke.
That was like an injection of EPO to Lance Armstrong!
I got back on my bike, and felt like a new man.
I didn’t have any more trouble the rest of the way, and I made it home just a little past the 11 hour mark.
As near as I could determine, the mileage total was about 162.
I had ridden 100 miles before and since, but that was the most miles I have ever ridden in one day.
I had a long soak in the Jacuzzi afterward and thought about the day and all of the encounters I had along the way.
I’m glad I did it, but I knew then, that I probably would never do that again.

Nope. Never. Kind of want to, though. Was thinking about this earlier today, in fact. Most I've ridden was 40-50 miles, and that was on a 1987 Trek 560 in my 20s. Most I've done recently has been 20 miles. I've never set any goals, so I don't really have any idea what my limits were, or are now.

My two mtb buddies and I did the 101 mile White Rim trail near Moab counter clockwise in one day in 2003. We did it as a pure loop unsupported on a hot 90 degree cloudless day car to car/ 4,000 feet of climbing. 8.25 hrs. ride time 11.5 total time. It'[s a 4x4 road with a lot of rough technical rocky terrain. There was no hiding from the sun, and I remember struggling a bit with swollen feet. The heat was relentless, and we were suffering under and because of it. Planned on and did beg water from tour rigs that we came upon during the day. It was a tough ride in the heat, and I remember I couldn't swallow food after 85 miles. After 85, we had to climb the Shaffer Trail, about 1800 vertical feet straight up so that was really not fun to suffer climbing up. I was 2nd up to the top of the climb right behind one of my buddies where we came up onto a tour rig parked at the top. We all had at least 4 full 16 oz cups of the coldest and most refreshing ice water I have ever had the chance to drink. Each one within 30 seconds. The cold beer(s) at our rig and a fine meal in Moab later in the eve was icing on the cake and just the best thing ever. We were kings at 47yrs. of age.
I have done many road/pavement centuries but nothing really compared to that day on the white rim at pace. I really enjoy the longer rides when I can work one in . It is worth trying and very rewarding. Another standout ride I have done was a sunrise to sunset Solstice ride 10yrs ago. It was about 82 miles and 9700 feet of climbing & 100% single-track. Legs were shot. I have a bunch of slog stories!
Marty's 160 is a long ride and not easy in any shape form or fashion nor is Marks 100. Any 100 is a lot. I was thinking about trying to go back to the White Rim and beat our time 16 years ago with the same two guys who I still ride with. No problem if we pick the right temperatures and use our wiser brains.

Last edited:
Back