When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many Cabers have ridden 100 miles on a bike all at once?

-
Happy 1st day of Summer!
I did it again today; different bike, bigger gear.
1939 Twin-bar Tiki Cruiser
IMG_2105.JPG

Same route, 3- 30 mile loops along the beach, Wedge to Water-tower, plus 10 mile to-and-from.:D

I'm 83 years old, and so far this week, Monday thru today, I've ridden around 135 miles. I ride every morning that it's not wet, or too cold in the winter. Little traffic'd neighborhood streets and city park paved trails. I do the same route every morning, riding early when it's still cool and not too many walkers on the trails. This lets me average around 13.5 MPH. All balloon tire bicycles. Oldest bikes, the same age as me, and the newest, and my 'less than favorable conditions' ride, an all aluminum 1994 'Amp Research B-4' full suspension with street tires.

Regarding the 100 miles at one sitting though, Never....

But around 1994 I did the Wichita Falls Texas "Hottern' Hell Hundred" 100k. I did that one without stopping after I was able to get started riding. I had to walk approximately the first five miles because there were so many people around me that I could not even mount my bike without hitting someone. Thousands do that event!!!
So, I have done a bit over 60 miles without ever leaving the seat! That ride was on my 1992 Serotta Colorado II Road bike, Campy equipped. I still have it but I have it on a trainer for wet days.
I don't use it on the trail because of the 700 23 tire size. Sometimes I am forced off of the pavement, and off pavement conditions could damage the wheels...and me!

My longest single ride was 125 miles (200k) in January in NJ. Rode 4,000 miles cross country with my oldest daughter in 72 days, . Towed BOB trailers and camped the whole way. She raised $51,000 for children in Uganda thru the ride. Epic! I ditched my car a couple years ago and my 1982 Schwinn Voyaguer 11.8 is my vehicle now. I ride about 300 miles a month. Cruise around town on my 1938 CWC. I'll be 61 in two weeks.

My longest single ride was 125 miles (200k) in January in NJ. Rode 4,000 miles cross country with my oldest daughter in 72 days, . Towed BOB trailers and camped the whole way. She raised $51,000 for children in Uganda thru the ride. Epic! I ditched my car a couple years ago and my 1982 Schwinn Voyaguer 11.8 is my vehicle now. I ride about 300 miles a month. Cruise around town on my 1938 CWC. I'll be 61 in two weeks.

cross country is one of my dreams ... same style as you. Camping the whole way and taking my sweet time. im thinking when my eldest girl graduates HS before she goes to college....

San Francisco to Boston in 69 days

View attachment 1017590
after a few days , you could crank out 100 miles easy , I would start about 6 or 7 a m, and be at the next meeting place by 2 or 3 , and then do the nightly news , and interview for the newpapers, my last days coming into Beantown,, I rode 98 , 108 ,118 for my final three days, ,.....There was an awesome place in our ride It was, called, the 3 sisters, I coasted Almost, 8 mies with my feet over the handelbars lisiting to classical music on my Walkman, those were the days my friend-in Iowa

Last edited:
I'm an old fart now, and have no plans to do another, but back when I was young and handsome I'd usually go on a couple 100 mile club rides every summer.

the last long ride I did was 100 K (60 miles) in 1996 when I was 36 after a long summer of mountain biking and losing 40 pounds. the furthest I have ridden in the last couple years was only about 15 miles.

just curious who else is masochistic and loves to punish their bodies.

I'm an old fart now, and have no plans to do another, but back when I was young and handsome I'd usually go on a couple 100 mile club rides every summer.

the last long ride I did was 100 K (60 miles) in 1996 when I was 36 after a long summer of mountain biking and losing 40 pounds. the furthest I have ridden in the last couple years was only about 15 miles.

just curious who else is masochistic and loves to punish their bodies.
I have done many 60, 80, and 100k’s on my road bike but not 100 miles - good for you!!!

It's 15 miles from the Wedge in Newport to the Water tower in Sunset beach, round-trip 30 miles.
I rode it 3 times consecutively, with 5 miles each way from my house.
I left a little after 5 am and got home just after 4 pm.
I had lunch for close to an hour, and stopped 4 or 5 times when I wanted to.
I was not in a hurry; it was for fun; I will do it again.
When I left Marty @cyclingday after lunch, I had 1 more loop to do, which took me a little over 3 hours.
View attachment 1017218
View attachment 1017220
You're a stud, My friend !

i'm 68 now and can only dream of the days when i could ride that far. when I was young and in great shape it was no problem. when I lived on the coast in santa cruz area I have done many rides at the 100 mile mark or close to it on both balloon tire'd bikes and high end road bikes over many years. but that was a long...long...long time ago. I live in the foothills now and riding is a means of exercise. sure the ride down the hill is great with a balloon tire'd bike with a morrow. its the coming back up where I have to push the bike up the hill that is a drag. I guess I am more collector than rider!

Back