When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many Cabers have ridden 100 miles on a bike all at once?

-
in 1974 as a Freshman at the University of SC I rode a Century ride around Lake Murray near Columbia. I had to ride 10 miles from campus to the start and back after the ride so did 120 miles that day on a cheap European 10 speed. Oh, to have those 21 year old legs today!

1B4F3585-CAC6-4725-AE09-697379C0DB29.jpeg

Great and epic stories all!

I can just imagine riding a cycle truck across Nevada and Utah, Reno to Salt Lake City, Yosemite to Tonopah and on to Cedar City. Endless ranges of low mountain ranges then coast down into the low desert and Joshua Trees, then the long 15-30 mile climb up to the next pass. Nothing but free range cattle and wild horses for 390 miles. According to Google Maps it's a 33 hour ride with 15,000 of up and 15,000 of down elevation. The stuff dreams are made of...

In the early 80s a buddy talked me into riding over the Santa Cruz mountains on back roads from my folks old place on the backside of Stevens Creek park to the Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, 80 or so miles round trip, 2,600 feet up and over and back. Rode my 1974 Italvega road bike. He's still at it, last fall solo backpacked 270 miles of the Pacific Crest trail starting at the Mexican border, not bad for a 64 year old. ;) He's done a whole trail from Mexico to Canada a number of times in the last 40 years, a walking machine.

Last edited:
I went back and looked at my last December 2018 totals...957 from Dec 23, 2018 to Jan 22, 2019. 43 short of 1,000 miles in a month (including the 8 days I did not get on the bike) down in the flats in Cali! I should have done one more on the 23rd to make it an official 1,000 but had to go back home. I may have had a higher mileage count in one month last summer, but I'm not sure. Doesn't matter really in the end, as long as you foist yourself up onto your trusty machine and go long, that is what counts. These posts here are great and a must-read for some inspiration to get out there and just do it. Long live long rides..

rode 32 miles on Sunday on my road bike with a dandy set of wheels and 125 PSI tires,,, did do some hills but not really a big climb, mostly flat. pretty worn out by the end. that's double my normal miles. really need to get on the bike more, seems I only ride a couple times a month these days.

Back