When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many Cabers have ridden 100 miles on a bike all at once?

-
Pre-1950 bikes. 50 mi. group ride. Could even arrange a sag wagon for backup. At 25 miles stop and eat in a nice outdoor spot. And of course all would be welcome! If you are 50 or over maybe get a gold star afterwards: one of those stick-on kinds we got in school for "well done". With enough people it could be a pretty fun event.

I am riding from Poznan, Poland where i live to Amsterdam, The Netherlands, for some custom bike cruises every summer. Maximum i have done in one day is 200km (124 miles), from Berlin to Magdeburg. I usually get there in about 10 days and do about 1500km (932 miles) in total, bit more then 2000 (1240 miles) including all the cruising and riding in NL. I surely give myself a couple of days to rest and wash my clothing on the way, but basically i ride pretty much every day. I use my customized Electra Ghostrider chopper for this, but i have also covered distances on other bicycles in past.
I guess because of the virus i'd have to skip the ride this year, since all the big cruises are cancelled.

I frequently used to ride from Portland, OR to Astoria, OR in my 30's and early 40's. That was 100 miles each way. I was surprised it never took as long as I thought it might, and I never really even pushed it. These were leisurly rides, and I always arrived before sunset. I also rode from Portland, OR to Yakima, WA a couple of times back then as well. Those trips were almost 200 miles each way. Around the same time I also did several bike camping trips around Oregon and Washington. Sometimes on my own, sometimes with a friend. I don't remember the milege on those rides, but more than enough to qualify posting on this thread.

I'm no longer in a position where I can just take off and do something like that. But at 68, I still feel like I'd be able to, with a little bit of conditioning.
I did always want to ride across the country at least one time during my life. Pretty sure that won't be happening anymore. But you never know!

As I was struggling hard to make it up a very steep hill on one of those trips, a car passed me with a bumper sticker that read, "Easy Does It".
It rang so true that it forever changed my riding style!

I did it on a Schwinn but it had a Whizzer motor on it. This is the bike when it was equipped with twin motorized rubber band Gatling guns. At Portland, IN I sprayed loafers in their lawn chairs. You can see that the bands fly forward like smoke rings. 380 per minute. A string rotates the drum and pulls them off. If the conflict goes hand-to-hand, I can shoot Rambo style. The drill motor is in the box. I bought four of these from the Ukrane and modified them to be the Red Baron style. These are my friends.

IMG_5776.JPG

No way could I do that,the most in one day for me was 42 miles and was all I could do to get home. That was the longest I ever rode and done it after I turned 50,now if the weather would cooperate I could get more riding in and maybe work myself up to longer rides.

An early 1970s Ron Cooper was what I did my MS-150 on (75 mi, two days in a row). My aluminum Trek busted a wheel just before the event, so I pulled out the bullet proof RC. Rode smooth with Reynolds triangle and Columbus stays, but it took a while.

Nope, never even when I was young. Back then I used to do close to 30 miles each way to Matheson Hammock Park when I lived near Coconut Grove in Miami in the 1970s.
Now days I’m 64 and do mostly 11 miles Several times a week or 17 miles on a good day.

102 miles today on Heavy duty wheels and full fenders, both side stand and drop stand, and a bunch of accessories including a big, loud, dual-tone Goose horn and 2 bells.
It's the same beach ride, so it's been measured by countless riders for years.
From home, to the beach, 4 trips to Sunset Beach, 1 trip to the end of Newport Beach peninsula, then home again.:D

Let me know if anyone wants to come ride with me; it's a blast!

Back