When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Flavors Of Red Bar Tape Did Schwinn Offer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I wrapped up a set of bars with roll #5 and set them on the Superior. Just a little to dark IMO. I took a shot of the paint behind the head badge to show thats its not faded paint to account for the difference in shade.

437fb34522cb315b1780934cd03924f8.jpg

28827cb4e9d729aa5b536374721a1af4.jpg

Last edited:
Violet VS Flamingo. I wanted to get to the bottom of is Violet the same tape as Flamingo, I suspected Violet is the same tape renamed as Flamingo. I bought this recently and the seller assured me it came from a box labeled Flamingo, he had two complete unopened boxes of Flamingo. Here are multiple rolls of Violet in Schwinn and Hunte Wild. Unless all the other sellers I bought the Violet tape from were mistaken, it is the same.

violet tape 002.JPG
violet vs flamingo.JPG

Last edited:
There are two different shades of violet from what I can remember. The flamingo is like hot pink and there should be a discernible difference from violet from what I recall. I think this thread goes with out saying, its a little difficult to tell without seeing the tape exposed a little. I had a roll of flamingo but for the life of me cant find it. I think I may have the two different violets though. Ill check next time I hit the garage.

Last edited:
I wrapped up a set of bars with roll #5 and set them on the Superior. Just a little to dark IMO. I took a shot of the paint behind the head badge to show thats its not faded paint to account for the difference in shade.

I agree, that Flambo Red is a little to dark and it's pure red.

Here are a few more shots for Cody. These were done with a flash just to see how they would turn out.

Red TC tape 001.JPG
Red TC tape 002.JPG
Red TC tape 003.JPG

Okay well after much debate in the man cave, and a stroke of luck that someone asked me to work on their chestnut cruiser5, ive come to the conclusion that the tape in question is in fact a variation of chestnut. I have seen a different shade of chestnut tape before (an almost opaque version) but not in person so this is all I can atest for personally, but my mind is made. What do you all think?

95f9bc3a77c9991c3c01ec34565e84d8.jpg
19b69651b85d545be6f0f4977fc62f92.jpg

That looks exactly like Chestnut to me. I believe I have examples of all of the Schwinn "red" tapes *except* Terra Cotta, perhaps one day this summer I can picture them all together.

That looks exactly like Chestnut to me. I believe I have examples of all of the Schwinn "red" tapes *except* Terra Cotta, perhaps one day this summer I can picture them all together.

Are you sure Terra Cotta tape even exists? All the Terra Cotta lightweights back then showed white tape being used in the catalogs. I'm starting to wonder if we are operating on assumptions with this. In my opinion, none of the schwinn tapes match the translucent colors that well. I think it's easy to confuse these tapes because nothing comes in marked bags. Has anyone seen a box marked Terra Cotta?

Back