When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Flavors Of Red Bar Tape Did Schwinn Offer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Are you sure Terra Cotta tape even exists? All the Terra Cotta lightweights back then showed white tape being used in the catalogs...

Oh ye of little faith, do you seriously think I would be talking about Terra Cotta tape if it never existed? ;) It is indeed rare, undoubtedly the rarest matching color tape in Schwinn history. Terra Cotta paint was only offered on drop bar lightweights from 1962 through 1964 and '64 was the first year they used matching color tape. That means Terra Cotta tape only came on 1964 Terra Cotta lightweight drop-bar models including the Super Sport, Sierra, Continental, and Varsity. For example you can clearly see Terra Cotta tape on the the Super Sport shown in the 1964 consumer catalog:

1964_0405.jpg

Note that Terra Cotta tape was also listed in the 1964 through 1967 dealer parts catalogs under p/n 09 016/7917T (5 yard roll w/chrome plugs). Unfortunately it was discontinued after that.

Does anyone know the name of the color that is still in the package on the very far right upper corner? I have an old Schwinn that needs new tape, but I want to keep the bike as original as possible. I believe it is a 1976 Schwinn Varsity. The photo is from the original poster.

Screenshot (16)_LI.jpg

Does anyone know the name of the color that is still in the package on the very far right upper corner? I have an old Schwinn that needs new tape, but I want to keep the bike as original as possible. I believe it is a 1976 Schwinn Varsity. The photo is from the original poster.

View attachment 1246954

Your arrows are pointing to the Coppertone tape. They didn't use that color in 1976 on the Varsity.

The Hunt Wilde roll of tape on the right, #7, is highly sought after by aftermarket muscle bike collectors. It was used on Sears Screamer "butterfly bars" and on some others such as, the Murray F5 Streeter, Murray Eliminator, J.C. Penny Swinger, etc. It usually comes in a large roll to cover the extra real estate on these crazy handlebars.

Back