When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many tooth cog for 24" bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ADReese

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I am a 26" balloon tire guy that is dipping my toes into the "pig bike" world. My project is a 24" 50s schwinn with an S2 on the rear. I am running a Sulky slick and a standard ladies sprocket up front. My question is what rear cog do most people run on a bike like this? I have both a 22t and a 20t available. Thanks!

Do you want to go fast (20t) or easy (22t) and there will be almost no difference. You might be over thinking this a bit. Roger

always go with the bigger cog if given a choice, the gearing on old bikes is all wrong. notice the gearing got easier buy the 60's.

I put girlie gears on my DX. much better

Sounds good! I know on a 26" bike with the big sprocket in front, a 22t in the rear is fantastic. I wasn't sure if that would be over geared on a bike with a smaller sprocket and wheels. I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone.

Do the math and let your legs be the guide. I have two examples of 24-inchers in my garage that get significant ride time. One of my favorites is a Huffy Good Vibrations that is set up 40:18 (40-tooth chain ring and 18-tooth freewheel cog) for a ratio of 2.22. It has 6.5-inch cranks. I mention the cranks because, while they don't change the ratio, they definitely change the ergonomics and feel of pedaling. My wife's favorite is a Dyno Glide 24 with 44:22 (2.00 ratio) and 5.5-inch cranks.

Mess around with different gear ratios and cranks and your legs will tell you what's good. Of course, it also depends on what kind of hills are in the neighborhood. Also remember that 24-inch wheels and 26-inch wheels will be different (bigger wheel will be harder to push at the same gear ratio). Have fun!

Back