When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how much does it cost in your area to have a wheel re-spoked??

-
when I told my buddy I was going to build a wheel he gave me his truing stand.

I had to do one restart, had one new spoke with no threads and lost 2 spoke nipples in the process so I had to go back to the bike shop. got it pretty close to true, think I'm going to put it together and ride it and see if I can get it better later.

my first wheel.:) I think I should get a badge or some kind of sticker to put on my car so everyone knows..... maybe even a jacket.

View attachment 806765
Congratulations - it's a great feeling and the second one's harder because you think you know what you are doing:anguished:

when I told my buddy I was going to build a wheel he gave me his truing stand.

I had to do one restart, had one new spoke with no threads and lost 2 spoke nipples in the process so I had to go back to the bike shop. got it pretty close to true, think I'm going to put it together and ride it and see if I can get it better later.

my first wheel.:) I think I should get a badge or some kind of sticker to put on my car so everyone knows..... maybe even a jacket.

View attachment 806765

Great job! You you deserve a Wheel Re-builder's badge.
Your buddy deserves a T-shirt
" What Have You Done for a Friend Lately?,
I gave my bud a Park Tool Truing Stand"
BEST BUDDY IN THE WORLD

Great job! You you deserve a Wheel Re-builder's badge.
Your buddy deserves a T-shirt
" What Have You Done for a Friend Lately?,
I gave my bud a Park Tool Truing Stand"
BEST BUDDY IN THE WORLD
I have used mine for years, takes about 30 mins to true and tension.

Bike shops want 80-120 to lace and true wheels around U OF MD College Park

The Bike Doctor in Waldorf (MD) cost $80, labor..

Now...if this ain't country.......resoking a wheel isn't hard at all. There are really good videos on YouTube. As far as truing it..take your time. This is my temp truing stand. I've gotten this S-7 with in 2mm lateral / radial about the same .Not the .o5mm racers use. But close enough for me. MY PRICE IS A CASE OF BREW , ILL MAKE IT TRUE, A 12 PaACK OF ICE, ILL MAKE IT NICE....I had to throw that in thereView attachment 804744
View attachment 804743

View attachment 804745
kool!

Well here in my town of Fairfax if I need a re spoke its either $40,00 per,or a sack of smoke,,and the local wheelmen take the smoke,,have had five sets done and no $ has changed hands,,and yes ,,they were all trued righto_O

I charge $45. labor and spokes start at $1.00 each for straight guage at the shop. I have heard other shops in town charge $45. labor just to replace 1 spoke and true. Seems very steep to me. I charge $20. labor for a spoke replace and re true. I can't really remember what it cost in the 80's at the first shop I worked at to build a wheel, I think $20 labor. Anyone want's one laced up, I can do it at home cheaper. Or trade! ;) Not to toot my own horn or anything but I am Darn good at it.
I went through United Bicycle Institute advanced mechanics course in 92 and wheel building was the main focus.

Last edited:
Back