When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How not to center sidepull brake calipers

-

Sven

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I noticed this while changing my tire on my 72 Varsity . The first is obviously what the rear brake caliper is suppose to look like . The second what it did look like.
20200624_134749.jpg

Another view. The lip on the pivot shaft spring retainer completely broken off.
20200624_132422.jpg

After disassembling the caliper unit found that the radius bushings broke and the other cracked.
20200624_132518.jpg

The culprit.
20200624_132319.jpg

The culprit ONLY because a 10mm wrench was NOT used simultaneously with it to rotate the lock nut end of the pivot shaft.
You might ask how I know this.
20200624_132245.jpg

Yep, I did it to another shaft. I heard this one break. I'm 99% sure I did the first one as well
I did not watch the Park Tool video as I should. I watch some other one where the host did not use the OBW-3 with the wrench.

Sometimes the best way to learn is to break something.

Here is the video if you would like to refresh your knowledge, skills and abilities

Sven:
Bummer! Thanks for the schooling. It's always less painful to learn from others' mistakes. I never broke a pivot shaft, but that is probably because I had never seen a Park OBW-3 tool. Looks like it would be useful.

Back