When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often do you service your rear derailleur?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sven

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
20181204_161338.jpeg

I pulled this Huret " Allvit" derailleur off of my, now retired, '73 Schwinn Varsity "Tourist" Clone. It was my main ride. I rode it through eight states on various trails. I thought my maintenance was good enough...WRONG ..apparently not. I don't know if it was a bad adjustment or the transport from Maryland to Maine, shifted my derailleur..I D K????....Anyway, as you can see the top jockey gear screw head got worn down by the spoke protector. And the overall appearance looks like crap.
20181205_092541.jpeg

The Jockey gears were broken down , cleaned and repacked right before this shot. Every part was cleaned and polished and lubed .
20181205_164741.jpeg

Thank goodness for the Glenns Complete Bicycle Manual and the the pages from the www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Huret_Allivit_-_ instructions_scan_1.html
to get this seven times a son of a gun together.

Lookin' good Sven. I never ride my two multi-geared bikes anymore, so I never service them other than keeping air in the tires. I've had these bikes for almost 50 years, lots of great memories, so I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

I have a few Schwinn Paramounts and a few other European road bikes.I still have our original Schwinn Varsities my wife and I bought in 1969.Wont ever sell them .I cant ride road bikes anymore but I always maintained them.

Whenever something makes noise or I have the bike apart for other reasons. Pretty much just cleaned and replaced a few sets of jockey wheels.

Back