When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often do you service your rear derailleur?

-

Sven

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
20181204_161338.jpeg

I pulled this Huret " Allvit" derailleur off of my, now retired, '73 Schwinn Varsity "Tourist" Clone. It was my main ride. I rode it through eight states on various trails. I thought my maintenance was good enough...WRONG ..apparently not. I don't know if it was a bad adjustment or the transport from Maryland to Maine, shifted my derailleur..I D K????....Anyway, as you can see the top jockey gear screw head got worn down by the spoke protector. And the overall appearance looks like crap.
20181205_092541.jpeg

The Jockey gears were broken down , cleaned and repacked right before this shot. Every part was cleaned and polished and lubed .
20181205_164741.jpeg

Thank goodness for the Glenns Complete Bicycle Manual and the the pages from the www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Huret_Allivit_-_ instructions_scan_1.html
to get this seven times a son of a gun together.

Lookin' good Sven. I never ride my two multi-geared bikes anymore, so I never service them other than keeping air in the tires. I've had these bikes for almost 50 years, lots of great memories, so I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

I have a few Schwinn Paramounts and a few other European road bikes.I still have our original Schwinn Varsities my wife and I bought in 1969.Wont ever sell them .I cant ride road bikes anymore but I always maintained them.

Whenever something makes noise or I have the bike apart for other reasons. Pretty much just cleaned and replaced a few sets of jockey wheels.

Back