When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old are you Cabers? Please vote!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

How old are you?

• 18-

• 18-29

• 30-39

• 40-49

• 50-59

• 60-69

• 70-79

• 80-89

• 89-99

• 100+

Results are only viewable after voting.
A HOBBY IS NOT AN INVESTMENT.
BUT, A HOBBY IS A HOBBY!

IF YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT COLLECTING BIKES FOR AN
INVESTMENT, DON'T COUNT ON GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK.

BEST TO ONLY COLLECT WHAT YOU KNOW AND HAVE A PASSION ABOUT!
IF THE BIKES INCREASE IN VALUE, THAT MEANS SOMEONE ELSE COVETS WHAT YOU HAVE.
AND IF THE BIKE FALLS IN VALUE, WELL THINK OF THE FUN YOU GOT OUT OF THE HOBBY.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see the bulk of collectors responding to the survey are in the 50 -69 group, and no one over 80. That means the younger guys are probably going to be picking up some great bikes in about 11 years or so.:eek:

It is interesting to think what these bikes we collect now will look like in say 200 years from now when we are all as gone as the original owners are now. My vision of this planet in 200 years isn't too rosy though. I suspect most of them will probably have been destroyed or be so radioactive that riding them would not be in your best interest.

first, I just turned 50.
as for the fate of our hobby, I'll bet if you take this poll again in ten ot even twenty years, you'll find the exact same results. the hobby isn't getting older, younger people are coming in and aging, and older people are falling away and not riding anymore. somewhere between 50 and 60 is where most people are slowing down in their working life and enjoying more hobbies.
in short, the names change, but the ages stay the same. it's a pretty good bell curve.
I entered in the 30-39 end of the curve, and God willing will exit with the 2 in the 100+ category.

It's interesting to see the bulk of collectors responding to the survey are in the 50 -69 group, and no one over 80. That means the younger guys are probably going to be picking up some great bikes in about 11 years or so.:eek:
That's the plan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

first, I just turned 50.
as for the fate of our hobby, I'll bet if you take this poll again in ten ot even twenty years, you'll find the exact same results. the hobby isn't getting older, younger people are coming in and aging, and older people are falling away and not riding anymore. somewhere between 50 and 60 is where most people are slowing down in their working life and enjoying more hobbies.
in short, the names change, but the ages stay the same. it's a pretty good bell curve.
I entered in the 30-39 end of the curve, and God willing will exit with the 2 in the 100+ category.
That's true, I thought collecting things was a stupid waste of time and money when I was in my teens and twenty's. I was probably right.

I think the biggest threat to all collecting hobbies is diminishing disposable income. Every year when the ever increasing property tax bill arrives, I think of all the stuff I could have bought. High taxes on everything we buy, government regulations that make everything we buy more expensive. Government monetary policies that makes the money we do have worth less in buying power every year. Exploding federal and state debt, unfunded government liabilities. We are being assaulted from all sides. Not to mention foreign competition in manufacturing.

Interest in collecting certain items ebbs and flows but the monetary value of collectibles is dependent on available disposable income. Cool old stuff will always be cool old stuff and people will want it.

A HOBBY IS NOT AN INVESTMENT.
BUT, A HOBBY IS A HOBBY!

IF YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT COLLECTING BIKES FOR AN
INVESTMENT, DON'T COUNT ON GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK.

BEST TO ONLY COLLECT WHAT YOU KNOW AND HAVE A PASSION ABOUT!
IF THE BIKES INCREASE IN VALUE, THAT MEANS SOMEONE ELSE COVETS WHAT YOU HAVE.
AND IF THE BIKE FALLS IN VALUE, WELL THINK OF THE FUN YOU GOT OUT OF THE HOBBY.
Totally agree with you.If you plan on "making money" from a hobby ,just go get a real job.

There is some interests in old stuff but mostly what it's worth and not the history of it. I have a friend who is in his late 80's a paper dealer and has killer historical stuff but no one today wants it. I feel bad so I'm buy it up. Don't know what I'm going to do with it but I can't see it go into the trash. Yea mid century is hot because the early furniture sucks to sit on it. I have all stickley furniture Its cool but sucks to sit on.

Back