When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old is it?

-
Opinion is it is post '45.
Nothing much known of the Kirby shop, although they also made their own branded frames.
Their is also a link to 'Saxon' cycles being part founded by ex 'C. Bertrand' staff.
This is a lovely classic lightweight, ride it and enjoy!

-----

Side note on the Reynolds stem -

another manufacturer who produced alloy stems with the distinctive double binder arrangement was Centrix of France. Schwinn experts will know they came on the first year Continental ten speed of 1960. they went out of business in 1962.

-----

@sam This is the only marking on the back of the chain ring. Is it some kind of date code?
IMG_1945.JPG

-----

The more I look at this Reynolds stem the more it appears a dead ringer for one of the CENTRIX models.

Wonder if a case of licensing or somesuch...

One simple check which could be made would be to measure the thread of the two binder bolts and that of the expander bolt. Also the size of the hex heads.

Somewhat suspect you will find them to be metric.

Have some CENTRIX images and adverts saved on the HD o' me home machine.

Will glue them in to the thread when I get back there next week.

Thanks to everyone for the fine detective work thus far! ;)

-----

-----

Two images of Centrix stems which resemble the Reynolds:

Centrix advert from the interwar years:

Centrix advert of 1952:

Daniel Rebour rendering of 1951:

Has anyone learned any more regarding the bicycle?

-----

Zombie thread.
Was directed to and just tripped on this post since I found a Reynolds stem like this one and was searching for info about it. I thought it might be a centrix model at first but I had no idea.
One thing I've noticed about this bike and its stem is that it has the Reynolds stem which is a head clip style. The Centrix uses an expander bolt. Also the Reynolds stem has the bolt heads recessed.
The Reynolds is also a 2 piece aluminum stem similar to the old Schwinn Double adjustable except the top stem bolt holds the arm to the stem.
The centrix looks to be brass?

Back