When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How thin is the chrome on Spaceliners?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It's a Strato Flyer just like mine. I spent hours getting the clear coat off but have since read or somebody told me to just use paint stripper. Turns the job into about a 45 minute job.

View attachment 735780
Thanks for that great pic!

After getting more pics from the seller and comparing them to your better example this is what I have determined from the photos:

It is missing (or they are faded out) the red bezel on the crank and the red instrument display panel on the tank. The rear fender reflector is missing, it has incorrect pedals, and a replacement blackwall rear tire. If I couple that with the deep rust issues and a torn seat and driving 90 miles I have a hard time seeing a $150 bicycle. Plus, these are the problems that I can see - there may be a cascade of other unseen issues and/or finer details I am overlooking.

I know I could part it out (lots of guys do) and maybe make a few bucks but it is not that far gone and I don't usually buy for salvage unless all the stars align.

I am thinking that if I can bring it in for under a $100 or less, it is probably worth a long drive and look see. I am off the mark here?

Last edited:
I trying to figure out how old the seller is. Sold at "Western Flyer Auto Stores" Not. Western Flyer bikes were sold at Western Auto stores. HQ building here in the Kansas City area has been given new life. The art deco sign atop the building once again lights up the night sky. The building now houses up scale lofts. Don't let this distract from the original thread, just an FYI.
WesternAutoSign.jpg

Goof Off Professional Strength Graffiti Remover. Best stripper in spray can nowadays since they're removing those caustic chemicals from Everything. Careful it still irritates so gloves & mask up. That bike will shine. I had a girl's bike & the rust was way darker compared to that. Unfortunately it was deeper so it left dark pits & veins all across the frame. Also if you heat the frame before stripping (hair dryer or heat gun) it helps soften that hardened clear coat. Just don't scratch it or sand because you'll end up with a brushed looking finish aka bare frame

After removing all,of the rust, has anyone sprayed any kind of clear on their frames.
I have used modern day UV clear on other frames but vintage frames that's frowned upon. Use a good chrome or aluminum polish like Mother's or Meguiars. For what it's worth you don't want to use anything with ammonia in it to clean or polish as it promotes oxidization. Same with stuff that is petroleum based like that wool cleaner stuff

I guess that I should have asked has anyone used Eastwood's Diamond Clear for Bare Metal. I've used it on kick stands, fender braces, and the like after going after them with the brass wire brush on my bench grinder motor. It's holding up well so far.
81+rC+0xg5L._SY879_.jpg

I guess that I should have asked has anyone used Eastwood's Diamond Clear for Bare Metal. I've used it on kick stands, fender braces, and the like after going after them with the brass wire brush on my bench grinder motor. It's holding up well so far.
View attachment 1306361
I have cleared sprockets & stuff that are tough to clean on the bike but I suppose since it's not a paint clearing good clean chrome would be Ok. I would make sure it's UV resistant or it will fade & yellow in the weather

Back