When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How thin is the chrome on Spaceliners?

-

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
I am looking to negotiate on buying this Murray/Western Flyer/Spaceliner. This is the only pic I have and I see a lot of rust in the middle section. How thin is the chrome of the frame (and other parts). If you have carefully cleaned a similar one, how did it turn out?

Thanks!

00x0x_aJJbj2cjaZe_1200x900.jpg

Unless the price is really cheap ,I would look for one in really nice shape.They are cool looking bikes but a really nice one is not very expensive. The "plastic chrome " is many times worn off on these bikes.

Unless the price is really cheap ,I would look for one in really nice shape.They are cool looking bikes but a really nice one is not very expensive. The "plastic chrome " is many times worn off on these bikes.
That may clean up with "aluminum foil" or some Quick-Glo it depends on what you actually have. Most of the ones I've seen have the clear coat failing/peeling etc. The other thing to think about is that it is a Standard or mid-range version of the series (Deluxe, Standard, Base). It also appears to have a 1963-1966 Murray Astro Flite rear rack (which is hard to find with the light and probably worth $75-$100 IMHO) - For reference this is my Girls all original 1964 Spaceliner w/ the aforementioned rack added since I couldn't find a Spaceliner one. I only paid $200 for this bike but then blew it apart and repacked bearings,hubs, etc. and scrubbed everything, etc.

1964SearsSpacelinerGirls.jpg

That may clean up with "aluminum foil" or some Quick-Glo it depends on what you actually have. Most of the ones I've seen have the clear coat failing/peeling etc. The other thing to think about is that it is a Standard or mid-range version of the series (Deluxe, Standard, Base). It also appears to have a 1963-1966 Murray Astro Flite rear rack (which is hard to find with the light and probably worth $75-$100 IMHO) - For reference this is my Girls all original 1964 Spaceliner w/ the aforementioned rack added since I couldn't find a Spaceliner one. I only paid $200 for this bike but then blew it apart and repacked bearings,hubs, etc. and scrubbed everything, etc.

View attachment 734894

Wow! That turned out nice. Did you do that all by yourself or did you have help?? :tearsofjoy:

Asking price is $175.

Nice all original Murray made Western Flyer bike very much like the Sears Space/Flight liners of the day. 26" tires, single speed with all the original parts including headlight bezel and light on rear rack. These were marketed to be sold in the old Western Flyer auto shops.

Just got more pics
upload_2018-1-9_18-16-50.png

upload_2018-1-9_18-17-56.png

upload_2018-1-9_18-18-29.png

upload_2018-1-9_18-19-8.png

upload_2018-1-9_18-19-44.png

Back