When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to clean spokes ?

-

teisco

Finally riding a big boys bike
Love fixing up old bikes but the hardest part for me is getting the laced spokes clean and shiny. Respoking is very pricey so cleaning is the best way for me. Tried steel wool of course but very time consuming so maybe a chemical or something ?

very time consuming
Yes. You clean one spoke and you think "That didn't take so long." By the time you're on the tenth spoke, you have a different view. By the time you get to the 36th spoke.... There's no short cut that I know of, but please let us know if you find one. Actually, I just dealt with a set of rusty spokes by changing out a front wheel and rebuilding a rear with new spokes. Have fun!

I used my industrial ultrasonic cleaner and some HD grease cutter followed by a good mildly alkaline detergent.

Electrolysis works for me.

Caution: Don't do this if you have painted rims, or if you don't intend to clean and overhaul the hub too. Perform in a well ventilated area (hydrogen is produced in small quantities but can build up in a closed area), be careful as line voltage and water don't play well together (plug in you battery charger to a GFCI outlet).

Method: Remove tire, tube, rim strip and remove the axle and bearings. Fill a wading pool with water (or some container fits the wheel), add a half-cup of baking soda, baking powder, or washing soda (in order of effectiveness), toss in a sacrificial iron cathode (rebar, iron black pipe, etc). Connect the wheel to the NEGATIVE side of a 12 volt car battery charger and the cathode to the positive. There are many write-ups here and online about the setup.

Benefits: removes grease-dirt-rust, cheap, does not scratch, no harmful chemicals, does not hurt chrome rims or zinc galvanized spokes.

Electrolysis works for me.

Caution: Don't do this if you have painted rims, or if you don't intend to clean and overhaul the hub too. Perform in a well ventilated area (hydrogen is produced in small quantities but can build up in a closed area), be careful as line voltage and water don't play well together (plug in you battery charger to a GFCI outlet).

Method: Remove tire, tube, rim strip and remove the axle and bearings. Fill a wading pool with water (or some container fits the wheel), add a half-cup of baking soda, baking powder, or washing soda (in order of effectiveness), toss in a sacrificial iron cathode (rebar, iron black pipe, etc). Connect the wheel to the NEGATIVE side of a 12 volt car battery charger and the cathode to the positive. There are many write-ups here and online about the setup.

Benefits: removes grease-dirt-rust, cheap, does not scratch, no harmful chemicals, does not hurt chrome rims or zinc galvanized spokes.

I have been soaking them in a baking pan filled with kerosene and wire brushing them. Very time consuming, I'm planning on getting an ultrasonic cleaner.

Back